Copper braid as phase wire?

I want to route my phase wires into my deck from my central top box through to the trucks, but I am concerned about routing the full depth of the 12awg wire… especially because I would need to run 6 phase wires, 2 x 6 core sensor wires and possibly more for lights and accessories…

The sensor and accessory wires are no big deal as I can remove the outer sleeve an run the individual wires next to each other.

I am considering using copper braid as the phase wires that run through the deck and epoxying it in @longhairedboy style.

I know that if braided wire is soldered too much then it can become brittle and prone to snap… does the same apply if it is epoxied into the board?

1 Like

I think boosted used braid or some similar wire on the V1 and maybe V2, never heard of them breaking, but they weren’t epoxied, just held in place by the grip tape

2 Likes

Not to be that guy, but it was actually held down using what looks like kapton tape and… some kind of white adhesive covering.

Terrible pic, but it’s one of the better ones I have :joy:

FWIW Boosted doesnt epoxy them to the deck, but instead uses some kind of soft silicone. It was moving all over the place when I was trying to resolder my connectors. Really annoying to work with.

5 Likes

Interesting idea! There is only one way to find out if it’ll work…

I imagine if you set the braid in epoxy it wouldn’t be as brittle as tinned braid. Epoxy is pretty flexible compared to solder. I would worry more about the epoxy plug popping out when the board flexes, but folks have been using epoxy in this way for years without issue

1 Like

I dont think epoxy will make jt brittle like solder since it isnt wicking it in to the braid. I dont see why this wont work. What are you planning to do for sheilding? Just epoxy? Or maybe heat shrink?

2 Likes

Was thinking just epoxy… that way the epoxy has more surface area to hold to. Do you think it needs shrink wrap?

@iamasalmon not too worried about it popping out as Im gonna glass over it as well :+1:

@Sn4Pz that seems like a good solution… but difficult to get a good finish on…

2 Likes

The epoxy will probably work fine, the flex isn’t that big and most epoxy are somewhat flexible

My smaller board has phase wires embedded, but they are regular 14 AWG with the silicone insulation, never had a problem

If it’s under fibers, you’re all good.
I woudn’t bother with insulation, the block of resin will be enough, lol

1 Like

My thoughts exactly

I would love to be able to see braided phase wires routed into a deck and set in clear epoxy. I imagine it will look badass👍

3 Likes

Shhhhh. Dont give it away

2 Likes

Put some leds bellow the braid, so it would shine through when its dark :wink:

2 Likes

Next level :rofl:

1 Like

I think @b264 has a comparison list somewhere to give you an idea of amp ratings for flat braid.

All good, got some 66a stuff on the way :ok_hand:

1 Like

Might still be good for other folks who see this thread though. See if he answers the call because thats one of the rare occasions I didn’t bookmark a post from Brian.

1 Like

There’s this one which is super useful, but only has one size of braid… @b264 do you have any other amp ratings for braid?

1 Like

It’s in here

1 Like

I don’t but if anyone finds more, let me know

1 Like

mcmaster lists awg equivalents here, which helps.

1 Like