Constantly overheating motors in dual setup

They’re brand new, there’s nothing blocking them, no noise coming from the bearings, they simply get hot. Real hot.

I’ve always wondered what people usually ran for battery max regen. I usually run mine on like -12 to -15 per vesc

1 Like

Are your belts really tight? Is everything moving freely?

Probably fast charge value x2 as battery regen is a very safe limit.
So for a 4p pack of 30q’s, -16 regen amps for each vesc.

It’s what i use but i wouldn’t hesitate to increase it if i feel unsafe at speed

1 Like

Even without belts or anything they’ll shoot up over 50 degrees.

And the motors turn freely by hand?

His motors/setup are fine I’m sure. I had the exact same results with the 6396 sealed maytechs.
On a hot day, I leave home and within less than 10 minutes of riding @ 50-60kmh my motors are at 100c. And that’s with a lot of thermal mass since they are running on 3DS all-aluminum geardrives.

Maytech acknowledge that. Their solution is to run the motors at 30amp (LOL).
These motors are well built with pretty good magnets, glue, windings etc., but they are ABSOLUTE DOGSHIT thermally.

Got a big improvement with 6376 trampa motors (around 6390 total package size), they are open front and back with a built-in fan, sk3 style but sensored.
Still overheating, but much less… :sweat_smile:

They are absolutely fine, setup is fine as well. But they get hot. Ridiculously hot.

Can their construction handle higher heat? The magents will be the first thing to go.

My drill press motor got extremely hot after running for 6 hours straight back in the day. It could boil water easily, still runs after 3 years. Harbor freight $40 drill press folks. Not the same type of motor however

I have dual 6374 sealed 170kv maytech & they get hot on a hot day too
So I think it’s normal I guess :man_shrugging:t4:

Why did I not see this thread till after my maytech motor purchase?! :confounded:

I too am plagued with hot as shyte motors. 93c on a decent speed ride today

I am a big boy and run the dog shit out of 6374 170kv’s. I can overheat ESCs and the cans will be pretty hot. I don’t have the sensors hooked up but am closing in on 2000 miles with them and still going for now.

2 Likes

Is that with the sealed 10mm shaft Maytech 6374? 8 inch rubber also on these

Sorry that’s on 6” but just went back to 155mm due to not being able to keep heats down with an internal heat sink.

But yes on sealed and with 8mm shafts.

Should not have responded at all. Was not applicable.

1 Like

Any insight is helpful brother!
I feel like unless Maytech designed these motors to run 30c hotter than other motors because of the sealed design, there will be some sort of issue from the prolonged heat. I have seen @b264 mention magnets degrading after 80c
@fastrider Did you ever pinpoint a solution other than a different motor?These things get way too toasty😜

2 Likes

Brian and I have talked about this a bit. The weird thing is that my can will be mega hot, but when we felt the motor mount it was much cooler. The thought being that stator heat would transfer there if really hot. Could be the TB precision motor mounts. Either way, with this amount of mileage running at 90A motor and using it, I’d buy again. These results don’t align with the 6396 issues that everyone was having recently.

1 Like

Never found a solution for it. They run over 120 degrees Centigrade on a hot day. That’s when I’m not even pushing it. I’ve gotten the 170kV Flipsky Motors from the group buy and used them on the same setup. Could not get them to go over 70 degrees, so it’s definitely the sealed Maytechs. I’ve just upped the max temperature as to not get 400 notifications per ride from Metr.

2 Likes

120c! Holy cow doesn’t that worry you at all?

1 Like

It does. But since I’m getting 0 response from Maytech I’m just gonna run them that way until they say byebye and never buy another Maytech motor again.

5 Likes

Well this sucks to head. I had heard they ran hotter, but this makes me nervous about the 6365 170kv sealed motors I literally just bought. I was planning to run 70-80 amps at the motor. Fuck, I’ll be ditching these quick if they can’t push more than 50 without over heating.

I’ll update with results once I have these on the road. Guess I’ll be testing that right away