Connected battery to dual flipsky 4.20 plus without anti-spark switch

So, I screwed up today and trying to understand how much damage I did…

I was putting my board back together after adding a heatsink and accidentally connected the battery prior to connecting the 3 wire anti-spark switch. I knew something was wrong when I heard a spark from the battery cable. I immediately disconnected and wired things up correctly. However, when I hooked things back up, the ESC was stuck on. Both VESC seems to be working when I connected the remote and throttle it.

I assume I fried the anti-spark circuitry on the Flipsky board? Is there any easy way to repair this or is a loopkey my only option now? What other damage could have happened…

2 Likes

search and you will find tons of people with failed switches on FSESCs

1 Like

Depends what your voltage is as well. But if you connect the battery to the dual FSESC 4.20+, it just turns it on. The switch is there to leave it on an off state. I’ve done it before so if you connect the switch back on and then hook up the battery, it should remain off until you press the button. If it doesn’t remain off and remains on instead, then yes. Fried the AS. You can easily install loopkey

1 Like

@Fosterqc Yeah I’ve seen the posts. It just didn’t seem like a coincidence that it failed during plugging it in without the switch.

@Jujo Voltage is 10s3p, so 42V. As I said, I connected things back up correctly, but it’s still stuck in the on state. Switch does nothing.

I put an ohm meter on the plug on the board and it shows 0 ohm between S and -, which is the same as if the switch is in the off position. So I assumed the default state would be off.

Anything else I can probe to debug?

1 Like

The default state for all antispark switches is open, that way if something happens the board still runs. You can always add another antispark in series with the ESC to replace the damaged built in, but most likely you can’t easily fix it. In the future you can work around this by using a XT90s as your battery termination so regardless of the state of the switch on first power on it will not fail, that is how I had my setup running for a long time (FSESC dual 6.6+ with integrated power switch and a 12s battery, still works last I checked before the unit was put in the storage crate)

1 Like

The loop key fix seems pretty straight forward. Is there any chance that the ESC will randomly turn off now? Should I jumper the S and + together to be safe? And if so, will that still ensure it always stays on when the loop key is in?

I’d prefer not being thrown when this thing heats up :slight_smile:

I think you can simply remove the switch, the loop key should be fine as is

1 Like

So does it never fail open, always closed?

No they usually fail open

2 Likes

I also am having troubles. I connected my battery to my Dual FSESC4.20 Plus (Based on VESC ) with Anodized Aluminum Heatsink - Pro Switch, and no sound or no lights, it wont turn on at all!

1 Like