Complete Stop Downhill/Uphill on a Mountainboard (VESC6) is it possible?

Hahaha. When you put it that way.

2 Likes

Level matched with Builder’s Forum. Welcome!

1 Like

You guys probably ride on completely different terrain too.
I haven’t tried the reverse with hysteresis since it was just introduced but I am very interested in your results.
Uphill is not a problem but downhill has always found me searching for branches to grab or jumping to turn the board 90 degrees to completely stop on a steep hill.

5 Likes

I will hopefully have time to test it properly today (if the rain stops).
I will try different modes - different minimum speeds and different terrains / situations

For science

4 Likes

That’s so true, off-road downhill with bindings is pretty scary sometimes. Especially when going unexpectedly backwards because you initially wanted to stop on a hill.

@BillGordon thanks for the bump, didn’t even think about my level yet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ok guys so I did the Test… and luckily I started testing on a normal Road first.

Test 1 (Current Hyst Reverse with Brake with 2km/h Limit in VESC Tool)

I accelerated normally - braked - everything seemed fine. Hit the brake another time - slowly going backwards downhill towards the road. I thought OK sweet - now hitting the throttle again - no response - hitting the brake again no response - slowly rolling towards a Car so I had to steer my board to the sidewalk.
What the F? :exploding_head:
I changed the ERPM for Direction change several times… 1000… 2000…3000… all with the same results… Ok SCREW this mode for now.

Test 2 (Current Mode with 2km/h Limit in VESC Tool)
Did the same test - however when braking I noticed the wheels would spin a little backwards sometimes but a lot more controllable then I thought… Feels great actually. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I went very steep downhill and could stop comfortably every time. The reverse feels a little bit cloggy at times because of the speed limit but it does it’s job.

So Solution for my Problem:

Set my VESC to Current Mode - Limit the Reverse speed to 2km/h

Just one more question, how do you guys feel about Traction Control ? Does it help you or is it counterproductive ? Which settings do you recommend ?

Short Video from todays ride:

Cheers
Patrick

8 Likes

I love it. 5000 ERPM difference traction control has saved me in some gravel hill climbs and sand patches. :slight_smile: No burn outs tho. :frowning:

4 Likes

I had the feeling that when I wanted to use the throttle a bit more to make a little drift in a curve the traction control kinda was working against me ? But this could just be my total lack of skill

Traction control = no more burnouts, no more drifts. It’s traction control after all. :slight_smile:

Of course you can try to raise the ERPM difference.

1 Like

fair enough… just thought there might be a possible middle way. Then I will turn it off for now thanks

Middle way is to increase the ERPM difference. Make it 10k, maybe even 15k. Play around, see what works for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am glad we are on the same page. : :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yes indeed… very weird behavior for the other mode and I had to actually feel the other effect on the road…
On the bench it just seemed so instant and drastic but when I was on the trails its kinda second nature and very convenient.

So thanks again for pointing it out and I would consider this problem SOLVED.

2 Likes

Looked like the board was riding good! Going to have to try that out now :grin:

1 Like

Is there any way to change the reverse speed using the vesc tool instead of the android app?

Do you guys notice a difference in regular, flat braking when using the forward/reverse compared to the forward/brake?

That’s the only factor holding me back.

I used ryuX settings and it’s been doing great for the last week or so! Braking is similar to a boosted board to be honest. Doing the bench test seemed like it would be unridable, but like they stated it is very nice and only takes a short time to get a “feel” for it. Emergency stops are very doable as long as you are prepared for the reverse action!

1 Like

Yes, it’s “max erpm reverse” where you set the limit, eg -3000 is very slow like 2-3 km/h.

But don’t set that low ERPM when you use "“Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” mode! If you roll backward faster than the set limit your brakes won’t work, they just lock after hitting almost full throttle.

5 Likes

so yall found solution or nah

nah