Combating foot fatigue

Lol let’s grab a battery powered Toshiba Wand and slap a 12s1p on it.:grin:

2 Likes

someone has to have VESC swapped one.

Speaking of someone should make a DC only VESC based esc.

2 Likes

the machine

1 Like

The builds I usually ride are my hummie on bergs and my mbs Retaliation heelless f5 on 200mm.

When riding the hummie, I can go for hours with a smoke break about every hour and a half. And that’s mainly cause I want to smoke. I clocked almost 2 and a half hours non stop on it. And had no fatigue anywhere. Dont get me wrong, it felt like I had been on my feet for hours, but there was no fatigue pain wise.

The mbs is a completely different story. And this applies to all boards that have a good bit of camber. When you’re standing on a camber, your feet naturally want to slide/roll towards the trucks. Add in bindings of any kind and you double the stress as your feet are now pushing against a stable object. Without bindings your feet just slide to the V of the ends and with no where to go the natural outward movement is now directed @ your feet and up the leg.

Side note, I cant say that it’s true for things like foot hooks as those dont hold your feet more so than just resting around your foot. I have a carver that is WIP that I will be using a foot hook style on. I’ll report back on that.

I saw about 3 people so far say something about so I’ll just reiterate it. Blood circulation is key. Carving really helps. Even if it’s just a small carve. It causes the circulation. Being able to move your feet around on the board helps as well. Bindings are kind of screwed but I have found that I can slightly slide out of each binding and have about 40mm movement each way. That little bits helps a lot.

Shoes I think are all personal preference. I normally ride in high top cons with wore out soles (holes @ front and back straight through). I also ride in military combat boots. Also riden in standard skate shoes (dc,etnies, vans, even airwalks @ one time). I’ve found that as long as I’m able to have that 80mm worth of movement, I never have pain fatigue. Again, it feels as if I’ve been on my feet for hours, just no pain.

Ride more, have the ability to shift around on your board, and get good mofo lol.

4 Likes

I started doing >70km rides this year for the first time on the new LSSS. I found that I reached a point around the 50k mark where the soles of my feet started to desensitise a bit and it seemed to blur the interface between foot and board. Excuse the cheesy cliché but it really began to feel like the board was an extension of my body. Reminds me of marathon runners ‘hitting the wall’, running through it and then feeling limitless. Same sort of feeling.

4 Likes

whole 'nother related topic LOL

3 Likes

I’ll second that absolutely. I try to hold a different position and/or distribute my weight slightly differently through each carve. Besides getting that all-important flow sensation, working (and resting) different muscles really helps prevent fatigue.

On a side note, this Heath Lewis dude I see hammering Lacroixs on YouTube (is he also on the forum?) employs the very opposite technique to what I’m describing.

5 Likes

Heath is fucking legit. I’ve ridden with him before and his board is definitely an extension of his legs lol. But I do believe he rides daily so hes well use to the fatigue lol.

4 Likes

While I’ve successfully overcome foot fatigue, my back leg (left, as I ride goofy) knee is starting to give me grief. The joint itself is kinda sore and the ligament that connects thigh muscles to the knee hurts a bit. It’s not noticeable while riding, however walking is kinda painful, especially in mornings. Stretching seems to help a bit.

P.S. I’m a chonky fellow at 120kg/264lbs together with bag/gear.

5 Likes

Stretching is the way to go.
It sort of activates the muscles and they can work better.
When I was starting to ride electric I had all kinds of weird muscle and joint aches, stretching really helps, some say it is even more important than excercising your muscles.
On longer rides my front foot tends to go a bit numb, I then have to stop and stretch it a bit and / or stretch bending all the way downwards, afterwards I feel much better and I can move more lets call it “in a more fluid motion”.

4 Likes

i find having the right shoes/soles can greatly help fatigue
(and of course, relax them knees, anticipate the conditions, actively look ahead and aim for the smoothest parts wherever applicable)
everyone’s different, i personally run thicker/softer soles, (i use trail running shoes/ timberlands depending on weather) and i can ride forever. swapped the stock soles from the running shows to something more supportive cause the stock ones wore me out within a couple miles but mow I can easily run 20-30 odd miles no problem

3 Likes

After 3 days without water, you might start getting rather thirsty. I suggest for safety reasons you limit all rides to 72 hours or less, depending on how much water you are carrying, of course.

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

my thurst for riding is insatiable and the cure?

moar riding

4 Likes

My shoes would be full of urine by that point, which would probably exacerbate my foot fatigue.

3 Likes

Might clear up your athletes foot though :wink:

1 Like

Dude, urine compress is a well known folk remedy for all kinds of ailments! Your feet will thank you!

2 Likes

LiFePo, so that’s like 6-7 miles?

2 Likes

Less than that if you only use one cell.

1 Like

I have had good luck putting quality over the counter orthotics like Superfeet. Greatly reduced my foot fatigue.

1 Like

Real life or dream? :joy: