Cloudwheels 120mm Rangeloss

Hi guys,
Just a a quick question has anyone measured how much range loss you get using 120mm cloudwheels compared to 90mm stock wheels.
Can’t find any data online.

Thanks in advanve

2 Likes

current wh/mi needed

2 Likes

That’s my problem I got a prebuild apsuboard V5 there is no info on KV etc

1 Like

That does not answer OP’s question. That calculator can’t help him figure out the efficiency lost due to cloudwheels.

Fabian has done quite a few range tests with different wheels, but I’m having a hard time finding the exact numbers. I know the rubber airless wheels are like 25% less range, so I would expect the cloudwheels to be around 15% less range? (compared to stock urethane wheels) Although maybe if you adjust the gearing to match it’s an even smaller effect, dunno.

5 Likes

And other people report 27% loss if you don’t change your gearing.

5 Likes

what is ur wh and range then lol

cause they zoomin, almost like a pneumatic but with perfectly round balance and high speed gearing. Great combo

bad range

4 Likes

The only way he could find out in reality is do a range test on both, if the calc has a close enough range of the real world one he should be able to measure roughly what the real world range would be with bigger wheels. Theres no way to find any data like that to say how much loss you’d have.

My point was that the calculator doesn’t use wheel size to determine range. It does it purely by battery size and efficiency you input. And he can find out the efficiency (or just expected range) by taking his current range, and multiplying it by the relative change in range that other people have had when switching from flat urethane wheels to cloudwheels.

6 Likes

Oh shiiit, I never noticed that my bad

3 Likes

@Evwan

1 Like

I don’t have gearing it’s a hub motor. And I’m using a 14s4p battery pack.

1 Like

I’m getting around 25-30km if I’m not driving 40kmh all the time

2 Likes

Oof, yeah, on a hub motor the decreased torque could really eat into your efficiency. The 27% loss sounds more applicable here, so that would mean 18 - 22km of range.

3 Likes

70kv

1 Like

I think I can live with decreased torque the 14s battery almost puts too much torque on flat roads.

Obv there’s not too much torque :wink:

Controversial DKwan now has a calculator for prebuilts that can tell you approximate range based on wheels

I’m not sure the mechanics behind it though

1 Like

i took a 30% range hit compared to my 97mm abecs

4 Likes