Cloud Wheels/Clone SR Foamies Review

I have been on the fence about whether to pickup a set of these. After reading this entire thread, I am going to wait for a v2. I have my fingers crossed for them to adopt the kegel core because I suspect it is a stronger design and most of my favorite wheels already use it so it is easier to share pulleys. Switching the core design in a considerable way would make it easy to spot the new ones and would convince me to jump on-board. It would also show a level of consideration from the manufacturer that I do not expect but would be thrilled to see.

Aka profit and reputation

Not trying to be argumentative here, but it helps to be realistic.

A quick search has these wheels regularly going for about $115 to $125. While I agree with your sentiment regarding how companies should handle situations like this, you’re overestimating how much they care.

Same goes for the word being out. This thread is actually the number one result if you
Google “Cloudwheels review”. But do you think the average buyer is going to read nearly 600 posts before making their purchase? They’ll check Amazon, maybe watch a YouTube video, and call it a day.

Hell, I regularly see people buying Ruroc helmets knowing they do not offer appropriate full-face protection on the street, because they like the way it looks. A handful of product failures is simply not the massive tide you think it is that will tip how buyers/users view an item.

I’m with you 100%, but this is not representative of reality. You don’t have to accept it (vote with your dollars), but profits speak loudest - and the companies that do rise above this are the exception, not the norm. If the world worked like we hoped, cases like the Ford Pinto wouldn’t be taught in law schools and business schools around the country.

Lots of passion behind every hobby, but don’t forget that this entire forum represents just a small minority of the esk8 world. We don’t even have the full set of facts yet for these Cloudwheels, and you’re already looking to write an obituary for the manufacturer.

1 Like

It was starting to feel like that huh :joy:

I honestly think it’s him w way less graphs

1 Like

Meh paul is nice, shart is a different animal, but I thought that was funny

1 Like

So who is professorshartis? Do I want to know?

1 Like

Unless you power your skateboard with water, you need not worry.

7 Likes

I have some SR rough stuff on my board. I suppose it’s the same factory that made them, do you think they could break like the cloudwheels even though they don’t have the foam core?

It’s probably the same core, but the wheel is smaller and solid urethane. If my theory is correct, it should technically be much better supported than the 120s

1 Like

Yeh that’s what I thought but I’ll check them closely
Thanks

Just to clarify ABEC11 genuine cores as all US made professional Wheel cores are made from TPUs (Thermoplastic Urethane) not Nylon as mentioned in this thread!

6 Likes

Also PC can stress crack due to exposure to oil or grease (such as the oil inside your bearings). Another reason why it’s a bad material choice for a wheel hub!
TPUs are used because they bond really well to urethane and are elastic and not brittle which makes for a better shock absorbing hub that is not brittle.

5 Likes

Hi Ilan-

Good to see you here. I bumped your account level so you can post and message at will.

Welcome!

3 Likes

I’ve seen this thread or maybe the other one reposted on reddit and probably two groups on fb.

Not sure if I’m spending too much time on esk8 groups or other people are spending too much time discussing cloud wheel cores. :man_shrugging:t4:

It’s all becoming a blur…

1 Like

Yeah, given the possibility of injury, I chucked the other thread up on Reddit the other day.

2 Likes

Putting my AT Setup back on for my Ownboard bamboo for now. Now I need to find a thane replacement setup for this as I still want the range.

this reply makes no sense, in the lifespan of 1 set of tb110 wheels you will wear down atleast 10 sets of cloudwheels :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah but the core crack then you ask for a new set and it’s like a lifetime supply of new wheels.

2 Likes

thats only assuming that between all those cores your skull doesnt crack before you get a replacement :joy:

3 Likes