Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

Is that price for fully assembled, half assembled or bag of parts kit?

3 Likes

Fully assembled but no power/motor cables

2 Likes

@shaman sorry mate, i am too exited to solder this myself^^

1 Like

I plan to build a couple of your VESC6 based controllers.

Not to be pushy or anything. But do you have a guestimate on the schedule for release of this and for the VESC 6 based boards? I’m not really in a hurry - just kind of eager.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for more complete feedback from the beta test team for the Cheap FOCers before I move forward with a group buy for them. I’ve only had one beta tester so far give good feedback. Scheduling is hard being that I’m doing all of this in my spare time of which fluctuates wildly.

The VESC 6 based controllers is what I’m currently pouring more efforts into. I’m seeking to start beta testing for those in late summer. I also have plans to put these controllers through formal certification processes like FCC. I have no experience with this so I don’t know how long it takes. I’m trying to be much more formal with my VESC 6 based controllers by testing the hell out them, ensuring reliability, and ensuring legal compliance with FCC, CE, NRTL, ect.

5 Likes

was the other feedback user error based? problems with building the unit? or usage?

1 Like

The other testers simply haven’t gotten around to testing yet :confused: We are all busy with one thing or another but hopefully more results come in soon. I simply don’t have a machine to use a controller in so I’m completely dependent on others for feedback.

There is one instance of an issue with one of the Cheap FOCers. I helping troubleshoot it along with others. There might be an issue with motor detection with newer fw and the Cheap FOCer. I don’t have enough data yet to confirm.

5 Likes

I haven’t tested the FOCers yet. But I can confirm that I had issues with motor section on my FOCBoxes and FSESC’s with newer firmware. I’ve always had to up duty to .15 and current to 10. It might not be the FOCers. My motors should be in soon for me to test.

P.S- The newest version of the Vesc-Tool/firmware kills me. I have it and the auto values it gives are ridiculous.

1 Like

i always use the achmaniac firmware

2 Likes

I’d be in for a “assemble it yourself” kit if that’s even a possibility?

3 Likes

I’ll hold my hands up. I’ve been hopeless. Planning on changing that.

4 Likes

Not for the Cheap FOCer. However, you can buy the parts to assemble yourself with the BOM and Gerbers from the GitHub. I’ll update the Gerbers for v1.0 whenever that happens.

2 Likes

Me too. I just tried a full implementation of VESC formate with NRF and found the detected settings from the wizard to be very strange, dangerous even. Plus the lack of ERPM regulated direction switch caused me to re-evaluate the decision. I guess it only works well on VESC hardware.

2 Likes

I think Frank said to use the advanced view to get back all the doodads

2 Likes

I’ll check that out. Ty

Finnaly got all the parts and started the build.

It all went pretty well and i was able to compile and flash the firmware and bootloader to the stm chip.

I checked for shorts between the power rails and connected it to a 19V power supply. It pulls around 300mA but did not power on. When i checked, there was only ~1.8V on the 5V rail. So its probably something with the DRV chip.

12 Likes

The controller should only pull around 40mA on standby. Sounds like something is shorted on the 5V rail. Do a continuity check or resistance check on 5V to ground while unpowered. Also make sure the ST link V2 is NOT connected to power when powering up the controller.

3 Likes

I would also advise using fw versions 3.4x for now. There seems to be issues with fw 3.5 and above with the Cheap FOCer

1 Like

Thank you shaman, i get around 19kOhm between GND and 5V…

1 Like