Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

My intention is to build a Boosted Boards Mini like that uses dual drive motors.
The enclosure I designed will accept an ESC no bigger than 130mm x 100mm,
and since I need dual VESC, two Cheap FOCer 2 will not fit, but dual v1.0 will do.
The Flipsky dual 4.12 VESC has really great dimensions and can fit easily in my enclosure.

That makes me think - do you plan on making a dual VESC option?

In that case, how do I order only the PCB? Can’t find the file to upload to LCSC.

2 Likes

And what height? What’s the third dimension there?

Maybe you could sandwich 2 CFOC2s together with a heat sink plate in the middle. This would fit the 130mm x 100mm footprint.

Or you could just have 2x CFOC2s side-by-side with the electrolytic caps vertical instead of horizontal if you have room in that dimension.

Not right now.

It’s the gerber and assembly folder. The CFOC1 repo isn’t documented and broken down for beginners nor are the project files available. THE CFOC2 is meant to replace it in every aspect and is what I recommend for new projects.

1 Like

The height is approximately 33mm. I can also make it even higher since I CNC the decks by myself and can cut a section underneath the enclosure to accept more height. However it will only be given me 2-4mm since I don’t want to go too deep.

And damn it, how did I forgot about moving the capacitors! I already did it on Maytech VESCs, should do it to this one as well. I think I’m going to order some and give it a shoot.

1 Like

Cool. You can also try mounting the caps vertically from the underside. This should minimize the height penalty of having them mounted like that.

See you on the CFOC2 thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!
Will see you there since I have another question :wink:

1 Like

The smallest dual will be the Maker-X one. It’s barely bigger than a single focbox.

2 Likes

I ordered it earlier this day, should be cool to see it in real life.

1 Like

Please, Someone tell me where I can find the Step-by-Step ?
Im trying to understand how to do the Bootloader, I have the ST-Link
so, my computer didint detect the port USB when I just plugged the ST-Link without power the Focer. But the blue led from both is on.
Is required the power on the battery to Focer Esc ( 4S or 5S ? 19V ) ?

Hi martim, is this for the cheap focer v1 or v2? If its a v2 where i pre soldered the IMU it should just connect to the vesc tool by usb, no need for flashing with stlink.

1 Like

Hi Lukas ! For now its V1 Vesc4. Im looking for how to do the Bootloader.

@Ziploc posted a good tutorial in the v2 thread:

If you get the right firmware/bootloader it should be the same process

2 Likes

Hmmm - that’s troubling. The computer should show you the ST-Link as a USB port even if it’s not connected to a FOCer. Have you used that ST-Link before?

1 Like

Its my first time, my first Vesc. I will check all the 5 pcs.

Okay guys , problem solved. Its just a missed cable and my fault for didnt install the STM32 St-Link program. Now its flashing 2 Leds, red and blue from ST-Link.
I connected the ST-Link, but now I need the File to make the Bootloader, its the same file from CF V2 ? Because I didnt find from the GitHub CF v1.

1 Like

Purely guessing here… probably the same bootloader, but not the same firmware since v2 is a VESC 6 redesign. Shaman?

1 Like

Me too. I put the same bootloader, but I dont know which is the best FW for CF Vesc4 , will keep with 3.4x ?
If yes, where I can find ?
Im trying to find, but I found the FW 3.62 , 4.02 and 5.01 from the files of CF Vesc6.

I have a newbie questions,
When I will use the PRGM \ DEBUG port ?
For ST-Link Bootloader the STM32 and what else ?

When I will use the USB port ?
Vesc-tool for Config, update …

@Martim

The Cheap FOCer 1 can be treated like a regular vesc hw4.12 and uses the same firmware. There are tons of articles and threads out there for getting you started with hw4.12

Do not use firmware that is meant for the Cheap FOCer 2. It is a different design

2 Likes

How would those of us that live in this crazy country known as America acquire 3 of these updated FOCer VESC’s?

1 Like

Build them :slight_smile:

1 Like