Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

23 Likes

Cleanest one I’ve seen so far!

3 Likes

Looking good! Can’t wait to see spinning motors!

1 Like

Hey @shaman, what affects the current capability of an ESC? The type and number of mosfets and current capability of the traces, right? Simple put, one has to double the trace area and the number of mosfets in parallel or am I missing something?

Of course heat sinking, but let’s put that aside for now.

2 Likes

The amount of copper, severity of parasitics, characteristics of the FETs, and temperature are the big ones.

Doubling the amount of copper in the traces is ok but you still have the Rds(on) of the FETs acting as a choke point. If you put more FETs in parallel, then you reduce the combined Rds(on) proportionally and split the current flow between the amount of paralleled FETs. This allows for more current and cooler temps.

Edit: For through hole packages, the legs of the FETs are also a limiting factor. TO-220 legs can do 50ish amps continuous and TO-274 can do 75ish amps continuous. Depends on how well they are cooled.

5 Likes

Now with a heatsink

7 Likes

What’s the recommended design voltage for these @shaman?

1 Like

Clever Idea putting some heatsinks on the FET-Block. Going to make sure that your enclosure will allow some airflow on this thing?

Any ideas on when you’ll have it up and running?

Same as any other VESC 4.12. Abs max of 60V but only up to 50.4V(12s) is recommended. Some will do 13s but that’s extra risky in my opinion.

1 Like

Do we know if the MT60 plug is something worth using on the phases of our motors at this point or is that thing too small?

It’s going to be used in my 2nd e-scooter, so a few weeks till I have all together and assembled.
But I plan to test it in my current scooter. (I
actually don’t have any e-sk8s)

No plans for air flow yet. I’ll keep an eye on temps and act if there’s need.

Looking forward to seeing that, is the Scooter more like a Razer standing scooter or more like a honda Ruckus sitting scooter?

Also @Prism Can you tell me the measurements for the Aluminum block, (Dimensions + Holes for FETs)? I want to get everything ready for Wednesday and have the board on the road by the end of the week.

@davewesh i have a buddy of mine that runs crazy amps on mr30. but he also likes to blow up capacitors for fun…so take it with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Standing scooter.
The heatsink I have there is just an old one I had.
I just put it against the fets, marked the holes and drilled them. no dimensions, sorry.

I just got a bag of MT60 to try out since I started building sensorless the last few months

Tbh totally forgot about sensor wires, but I can just 3d print a shroud that clips on the connector out of petg.

@Prism do you plan to use any thermal epoxy or kapton tape to secure that NTC?

2 Likes

Small question: are these FOCers only for hardcore DIY soldering gurus? Like can I buy something like this assembled by someone that won’t fuck it up (implying myself)?

1 Like

As of right now, this is specifically for the DIY Crowd, the point of using the components that were picked by @shaman was to ensure that the soldering would be friendly. But dont make no mistake its still going to take time, patience and practice if you are not adept at handling a soldering iron.

As more and more people start to test and report back their findings on this v1.0 Shaman mentioned that he’d do a group buy of assembled FOCers once its officially out of Beta and in ‘general release’.

6 Likes

I like soldering my stuff. But this is the one component that could kill me if I fuck up…the fun of it all is not worth the risk in my book… or my children’ for that matter. Why i ask. This is a marvelous piece of tech, so close to my grasp yet so far. Great work on these btw @shaman

3 Likes