Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

For the Cheap FOCer 1? If so, I created it in Altium. Not exactly a hobbyist friendly EDA…

2 Likes

Just some info about VESC OW and IMUs

Most VESC based controllers use the COMM port to add a IMU (namely TX, RX, GND and 5V/VCC) as does basicly any BT module.
So you basicly can’t use a BT module and an external IMU at the same time unless either BT or the IMU is already integrated. On the OG VESC 6 is the IMU integrated, the COMM-port remains free and I can confirm that the trampa BT module works plug and play with the balancing function at the same time.

With other VESC based ESC it’s a different situation I certainly don’t know about any other common VESC based controller that has a functioning IMU populated and thus leaves the COMM port unused.

I saw that you already discovered the Old Forum OW build guide thread, other than this and the members who posted there is the info very limited on documented projects, the only thing I can say the VESC 6 (or another VESC based ESC with integrated IMU) are by far easier to use.
the Fungineers YT Channel has a series but not very detailed on IMU implementation.

1 Like

I’m pacing like I’m waiting on lab results!

Just sayin’
:smiley:

1 Like

What like this?

6 Likes

I’ve added an “UPDATED SUMMARY” to the original post. I’m going to try and makes this a new discipline for me and my threads as suggested.

2 Likes

Ok. The Cheap FOCer 2 thread has been created. I wanted to wait until after beta testing and have a v1.0 ready, but I need help funding the project. It’s been prototyped and proved to be functional on my test bench. Any help is appreciated!

5 Likes

Does anyone know if a pick and place file has been posted for the cheap FOCer?
I’d like to try LCSC’s assembly service (at least for the stm32 and drv, but I don’t think I can generate the pick and place file from just the BOM and gerbers.

2 Likes

I haven’t posted it publicly. I’ve really optimized the Cheap FOCer 2 for JLCPCB’s SMT service and I’m trying to push that version for newcomers. It really is a better design in my opinion. However if you still want the pick and place files for the Cheap FOCer 1 then go ahead and PM me.

6 Likes

Just double checking… the Cheap FOCer 2 hasn’t officially been released yet - right?

2 Likes

Not yet. I’m validating one of the beta units right now. It’s looking pretty good though!

7 Likes

Hey @shaman for each componemt on cheap focer what are the most critical values to be exact as on your BOMs.

2 Likes

Basically anything in the power stage. The FETs, caps, DRV, ect. The STM of course. It might be easier to ask what you could skimp on. Was there something in particular?

2 Likes

Sorry for no answer in this couple days. Had a hard week at uni. So basicly any think in power stage, all chips, and all capacitors need to be as writen in BOM?

1 Like

Anything different needs to be functionally the same. For example, Its ok to switch to a different manufacturer of 0805, 50V, 2.2uF capacitor as long it is the same specs.

1 Like

Thank you.

Hello guys, I’m currently building easyFOCer boards. After I built the first one and the flashing finally worked, I scraped two DRVs. It should be noted that I installed the NCE8295A Mosfets instead of the NCEP60T20 Mosfets. Can that be a mistake? I am not an expert in electrical engineering, I am a mechanical engineering student. At the time of ordering, the NCEP60T20 wasn’t available. I don’t need the high output power. I thought they were almost identical except for the output performance. I also operate the controller with 48V. I read in the forum that this can also be a problem. In order to make sure that the board does not have a fault in another place, I have now set up the second one. Before soldering the Mosfets in, I wanted to ask what you think of the other Mosfets. It’s perhaps important to say that the DRV always gets destroyed when I tried to set up the BLDC mode. Setting up the FOC mode wasn’t possible, becaus I couldn’d meassure the flux linkage. It was always zero. Im currently running the Ackmaniac firmware.

5 Likes

I’m guessing by easyFOCer you mean Cheap FOCer.

Those FETs you chose should function but they are not ideal. Their Rds(on) is higher and will get hotter much faster in operation. These FETs would be a better substitute.

You should not be frying DRVs with motor detection alone at 48V. Make sure the DRV ground pad is properly soldered and comb over the PCB for any soldering mistakes. Electronics do not tolerate even the slightest f*ck up. Issues with this design don’t appear unless operating above 40A.

Good luck to you. This is a challenging project but I will help when/where I can. Feel free to start a PM with me but know that my time is limited and my responses may not always be immediate.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot, yes I meant cheap FOCer. Good to hear that the Mosfets should be fine besides the Rds(on). For test purpose the should work. I will test the controller with a lower voltage. The soldering should be ok. I will inform you if it will function.

2 Likes

I’m happy to finally announce the v0.9 release of the Cheap FOCer 2! Special thanks to @bj97301, @NuRxG, and @Davewesh for formatting the repo into something truly outstanding, much better organized, and readable by humans.

Remember that this is still being beta tested (although successful so far). Myself and the other contributors to this project will be making tweaks as we go and as we receive feedback from the community. I hope this community enjoys having this open source hardware available to build, use, sell, modify, and improve.

10 Likes

Thanks mate you sharing your project, fantastic bit of tech. I for one can’t wait to check it out. 10/10

2 Likes