Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Sadly no success, just got very bad cogging at low rpm in both hfi start and sensorless(videos a few posts back) Also can bus is acting up and disconnecting. I reverted back to 5.02.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there was a 5.02. Any idea of what that offers beyond 5.01?

1 Like

https://www.vesc-project.com/node/1724

2 Likes

If you have the latest tool you can check under help, firmware change log.

Looks like quite a few items. I dont know if any of these effect the cheap focer?

4 Likes

Thank you both.

1 Like

Hello,

I made it work in the end. I test another board and it worked flawlessly. So I thoroughly inspected the board and discovered a tiny short between C46 and C66.
Now everything works.

To give back a bit to the community, I made a a few videos of the process.

I hope that this will be useful for someone :

5 Likes

Success!! After some troubles and DRV faults with my first CheapFOCer2, a freshly soldered one solved everything. Cranked it up to 70/-40 motor amps on HFI and the thing freaking rips. Running a single 6374 on 15/36 gearing, so not an easy task.

Gonna try and replace the DRV on the first one, just in case LCSC is again giving us some “B stock” of the component…for reference, my batch code is 08ACK3TG4. @doomy, maybe you can check out yours, in case you’re still getting the “reset to defaults” issue.

Thanks again @shaman !!

6 Likes

Please tell me there are some isolation between any conductors and the metal screw
Makes my skin crawl

3 Likes

Plastic washers, of course. They’re in the ordering and assembly guides in case someone is not aware of this very obvious need :roll_eyes:

If the follow up question is if I insulated the MOSFETs from the heatsink, the answer is also yes xD

2 Likes

Good lad

1 Like

Is that needed? Electrical insulation is often thermal insulation as well… Now I gotta check if my thermal pads are conductive or not :thinking:

2 Likes

Silicone thermal pads are meant to be thermally conductive but not electrically conductive. That’s kinda the point of their existence

5 Likes

New beta build hopefully fixes cfoc2 issues, the more people that try it, the less likely it’ll be that the next major release is broken on the cfoc2.

https://vesc-project.com/node/2859

1 Like

@ziploc Hey, I was wondering, how does this UART telemetry work with CAN-bus enabled, like two VESCs? I mean, if current is parsed or amphours, I guess it returns data of master only? So in the simplest case I have to multiply it by two? Or is there another way?

1 Like

You definitely want 5.2 firmware if you use your CFOC for a balance vehicle - tons of improvements! But you have to redo some of your settings as 5.1 settings don’t easily carry over to 5.2.

5.3 beta is even better (and doesn’t require config changes from 5.2)

Also, neither 5.2 nor 5.3 are broken for the Cheap FOCer. You may have CFOC2 version 0.9 in which case you have to build your own firmware, or download someone else’s build. 5.2 only has support for the 1.0 version of the hardware.

4 Likes

Here’s a link for 5.2 firmware for Cheap FOCer 2 v0.9: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17-zVSTR3xNK0GsRtwlt7YVSjMDekZbhq/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

@surfdado Thanks for this information. I have 0.9 CFOC and I am really eager to try newer FW version. By the way, I am not sure if I understood everything correctly, but how does building your own version for 0.9 overcome “5.2 only supports 1.0 hardware”?

@shaman Hey, we are testing CFOC2 v0.9 with these 6.5" hoverboard motors

However, we experience weird behavior with very low speed (low RPM) with these motors. We also have 10" (pretty much identical), but they manage to get 25-28km/h, on the other hand, with these 6.5" we manage to obtain 15-17km/h, i.e. RPM is relatively low. I was wondering do you have any ideas what can cause this? We tried to play with ERPM setting, but none of us still understands the real impact of it on motor RPM. Thanks.

A larger diameter hub motor/tire will have a faster speed than a smaller one for the same RPM. This a mechanical thing, not a controller thing. Also, are you sure the two different motors have the same kV(rpm/V) rating?

4 Likes

I’m having a weird problem; I have a flipsky bluetooth module that I tested on a v0.9 board and it worked fine, but now I’ve connected it to my new v1.0 board and it won’t even show up in the vesc tool app.