Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Completely understandable offcourse :blush: Thx again for all your work!

3 Likes

sometimes if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself

1 Like

Would love to buy a premium built Shaman VESC

3 Likes

Not sure what that means. A CFOC2 v1.0? What’s “premium built”?

I can only assume he’s referring to a Non-OS based product EG: the Little or Serious FOCers.

2 Likes

shaman said he was planning to make some close sourced controllers to finally make some money off of designs - I was saying that sounds great and I would love to get on down the road :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the Little FOCer and such like what @Davewesh said. Whole nother thread for that.

2 Likes

Just a little update on field testing so far. Using two FOCers 2 for a scooter, dual drive, i.e. each for one wheel. Wheels are 10" hoverboard wheels. Three hoverboard battteries: ~12-12.8Ah, 10S. I have already driven like >200km with it. Current is limited at 16A per wheel, regeneration 18A per wheel. So far all is great, wheels after long trip just barely get warm, controllers also just barely warm (screwed to main body of scooter). What is really great is that with older board (hacked hoverboard) with two batteries (8.8Ah) I managed to drive like 11-12km with a single charge, but with FOCers and 3 batteries I managed to drive 28.5km, which is really impressive.

Thanks for everything. I managed to convince other members of our makerspace to go for this drivers as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to read this. When i’m done with my onewheel project i will start to make a small working ice cream truck for my kids so they can drive thrue our neighbourhood. :grin: So 2 hubs driving the rear should work perfectly. How heavy is your scooter?

1 Like

Well, I made it totally from scrap and low cost was preferred. That is why I made everything from steel, not aluminum as welding steel is also way easier with TIG. Yeah, those two hubs of hoverboard are working quite nice. Since it is made out of steel, it is a bit heavier, like 18kg or so. But it is limousine class scooter :smiley: quite long, with shock absorbers, foldable body, etc :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’re gonna need pics.

1 Like

Bluetooth gurus.
I can connect my nrf52 via BLE but only for a second then it throws the below error and disconnects

1 Like

“Could not read firmware version” is usually an error that indicates a non compatible firmware version. Maybe upgrade the firmware with a PC?

2 Likes

intersted in this

Finally got my spacers and thermal pad after the shipment getting lost. Need to get the second one built and attached to this old TV heatsink and then it’s time to do some stress testing!

3 Likes

I keep experimenting with mine and now I’m prototyping a “Cheap club focer sandwich” :sandwich:

One board has the jst plugs soldered on the opposite side.

I fear EMC relates issues… time will tell if this is a good idea or not :thinking:

3 Likes

I run a similar sandwich with 2 Focer’s taped to a 3mm vapor chamber that works surprisingly well even with the fets being directly on both sides of the heatsink…

Definitely forgot to take a picture before I put it into my enclosure…

5 Likes

Nice!.. but shame on you not taking a picture :wink:

I was thinking of doing something similar with a plate in the middle as well but I gave up on that idea.

I have stressed a focer with a 3* 60*180mm aluminium plate and it did not provide enough cooling for me unless I had lots of airflow around it.

At 75A single motor I can barely get the scooter up and down the hills here and the temperature climbs fast. A proper heatsink with fins would be tons better, but my goal is to make a compact design and reuse some aluminium garbage I already have here

I’m counting on a better load spread using this dual sandwich focer and that it will allow me to climb hills without overheating :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Using a heatsink with fins would help a lot with rejecting heat to the air. Same FOC sammich but different “buns”.

3 Likes

Any update about v1 versión?

1 Like