Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Wish they would stock the DRV8323 as a replacement. It’s a better performing part but just not DIY friendly being a leadless package.

1 Like

“In English, it’s perfectly acceptable to refer to something fashionable as in vogue

I’m guessing they’re referring to the fact that it’s an older component and not ordered much thus they don’t plan on stocking it? :thinking:

1 Like

Your guess sounds right. What a strange way to say “obsolete”

1 Like

Does JLCPCB actively work on adding components to their list of supported stuff from LCSC? I’d love to see some connectors at minimum being placed, maybe just for THT

@doomy Did you ever try with 85A?
Results?

Also, I don’t have the recommended heatsink at hand but will see how well a 3mm thick aluminum plate will do. Will be slimmer than using the heatsink with fins.

Did anyone try that approach?

This is my starting point. I don’t really know what to expect here. My gut feeling is that it is not enough. My dream is to reduce the plate to the size of one focer :crossed_fingers:t2:

Cant imagine the DRV8323 is much harder to solder than the BMI160. While soldering all the 120 focers from the group buy this was my favorite part of the process. With a cheap hot air station(under 25$ shipped) they were a breeze to solder, much easier than a DRV8301 or the STM32F405. Mostly because they snap in place when the solder is melted.

@Fatglottis
I did not go over 80A yet, im still testing and other than some troubles with low rpm/high amps they all seem solid.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t be by much…but people are scared of reflowing leadless packages or don’t want to buy a hot air station. The BMI160 is an optional accessories of the Cheap FOCer 2 and can be omitted without sacrificing the core functionality of a motor controller. The same couldn’t be said for the DRV.

3 Likes

Have you tried motor saturation compensation? I’ve found that it helped for my hub motor.

Thank you shaman i will try that.

So far i just tested with HFI and this solved the problem on my mountainboard. I also switched motors from KEDA to generic china 6374 on my longboard and now it takes much more abuse to trigger into “limp mode”.

Where this is most annoying is on my onewheel, when someone with no experience rides it it almost always goes into limp mode and i have to reboot it. Probably because higer current spikes at low rpm are generated from the unsteady riders

If they’re not restocking, I guess we’ll have to get the DRV8301 from another place? Or are you thinking about changing the design?

1 Like

The CFOC2’s deign will continue to have the DRV8301. That’s not stopping anyone else from redesigning it to have the DRV8323. It’s open source after all

it is your project so really id say the final say is yours but the project from my understanding was not supposed to be something entirely doable from an entry level perspective but as a more intermediate project for those with the skills and confidence to try it or to learn.

As for the reflow of a leadless package - 5 dollars worth of sand and a cheap pan could likely do the trick for the reflow if the 8323 was picked as a replacement to the 8301.

And then you go and say something like that :smiley: - Id like to see V1 out and then the rest of your efforts on the SeriousFOCer anyways rather than spending more time on this one.

2 Likes

Having a bit of trouble with my FOCers :sweat: Had some weird issues doing detection in VESC tool 2.06 in FOC, the noises were a lot more crazy than usual and the values I got back were a crazy and unusable… but detection in BLDC was perfect and everything ran normal… Checked for shorts on the fets and the parts I soldered but they seem ok - any hints where else I can check?

This was what I got on a pair of 6355s

2 Likes

What’s the status of the current sensors? What values are they returning at boot? Type “hw_status” in the vesc terminal

1 Like

Getting this:

Firmware: 5.1
Hardware: FOCer
UUID: 40 00 48 00 10 50 4E 37 55 33 35 20
Permanent NRF found: No
FOC Current Offsets: 2031 2044 2071
USB config events: 1
USB write timeouts: 0
Mempool mcconf now: 0 highest: 0 (max 9)
Mempool appconf now: 0 highest: 0 (max 2)

2 Likes

I see the issue. You’re running firmware meant for a different FOCer… one sec

4 Likes

I had the same issue as you. Did a reflash with the FW from the github using STlink and now they are all ok.

I remeber voltage mesurement was all messed up too :slight_smile:

Is it possible @doomy accidentally flashed the wrong fw before sending the units out? :yum:

1 Like

Oh that’s worth a try - which one did you use? the FW5.01 folder or the ‘latest’ folder?

It was the FW5.01 folder

I first flashed the boot loader with STlink then the FW on top of that also with STlink.

1 Like

I’m trying to sort out a similar issue with very high resistance (30 ohms) reported but reasonable inductance (136 uH) on a generic bike hub motor.

On startup, I’m getting 18 steady blinks on the red LED but then no faults are reported in response to a VESC tool fault query. I can’t find or grok the code for the LED faults in the firmware and my internet searches are bringing up the three-flash DRV faults.

Any ideas what the red LED might be reporting?