Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

This is the late Christmas news I didn’t know I wanted to hear.

3 Likes

Unbelievable where you got. Happy NY man!

3 Likes

Parts arrived. Starting the build.

Any idea where to get the best firmware ?

Thanks to all !!

Not in this thread

Vedders site if you’re looking to flash MCU firmware, otherwise ackmaniacks is also liked if you’re looking for an older version.

thanks. can you please send a link ? is this in GITHUB ?

1 Like

Ackmaniacks: https://github.com/Ackmaniac?tab=repositories

Original Vedder FW: https://github.com/vedderb

1 Like

Really happy with the direction Cheap FOCer has taken. :heart_eyes:

Compared to V1
cheaper
easier to assemble
better design / vsc6

What’s not to love?

Hmm, needing custom firmware is the only downside.

11 Likes

Yeah that should only be temporary. When its all been tested and finalized, I’ll do a pull request on Ben’s GitHub to have it officially added to the VESC Project. This is done at Ben’s discretion so the firmware will be on my GitHub until it’s formally supported.

15 Likes

Hi, I’ve been reading a few VESC forums for a while. I’m developing an ebike motor, this version of the VESC your developing looks great!
Could you clarify if the size 49mm x 100mm x 14mm is just for the populated PCB, or does it include the 2x caps? I want to make a rough 3d CAD model and see if it will fit the space I have available.
If I can assist with and CAD design - enclosure or similar - let me know!
Mark

3 Likes

Welcome to the esk8 news forum!

That dimension is including the Caps. Thanks for the offer to help with an enclosure! I can send you a 3D model of the controller via PM if that helps.

7 Likes

Hi Shaman, yes Please, that would be excellent!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/sD8BRJH10bY Is this yours?

8 Likes

That day I learned a corporate media team is not to be trusted. It will be ok they said. You won’t go on camera they said. You’ll just narrate…

21 Likes

So handsome, I got semi chubby just watching. :call_me_hand:

11 Likes

He did a nice job!

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

How did you find that/ know it was him?

4 Likes

Any news on this cheap FOCer 2 ?
I’m in the run for a new vesc for my DIY onewheel and this one looks very promissing to me!
If you need any beta testers i’d love to do that.

Here is a video of my diy onewheel.

13 Likes

I dont think the cheap focer 2has the gyro built into it thats required for standalone onewheel builds. You could however do it with an arduino over UART if you had to.

Edit: Also loving the DIY onewheel, looks very sleek.

3 Likes

50A operation at 50V
FOC current at 50A

Finally got around to testing under load properly. I now have a neat test rig. Two motors mounted and coupled at the shaft(giggity). Each motor has it’s own controller. One motor provides braking torque(load). The other is run like a normal. Behold the the test data!

So I do have an embarrassing story. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why the controller behaved badly right at 40A. I attacked this issue for weeks. I thought it was the Op Amp I was using as the 3rd phase current sensor. This issue had me nearly crying in the corner before I realized the damn DRV8301 OC mode setting was the culprit. Disabled that and then bam…50A FOC at 50V!

23 Likes