Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Are you using all 5 or will you have extras?

Pretty sure you can attach an IMU breakout board to any vesc. The support is baked into the firmware. Here is one such board: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GY-BMI160-6DOF-BOSCH-Module-6-axis-Acceleration-Gyro-Gravity-Sensor-for-Arduino/253071090295?hash=item3aec366277:g:Bf8AAOSw6hNZfqUP

2 Likes

You technically can, but Flipsky boards don’t do well with it at all.

OH really? Whats the issue specifically with Flipsky and the IMU?

@shaman I was just looking at the JLC board making service, when it gets to the review board it looks like its missing the smd resistors for the ADC ports. Is this normal, user error or due to out of stock? I’m not really sure. I don’t want to hand solder any parts that small. I didnt see them in the hand solder list though?

On a plus note all the electronic parts for 10 sets from JLC / LCSC including shipping is about $200 for me. Shipping for me is cheap though $5 each because Im in Hong Kong.

3 Likes

That includes the board and assembly as well as the additional parts needed from LCSC?

1 Like

Yep! Provided I did it right?

It was like $140 for the assembled PCBs and 60 for the extra parts from LCSC.

1 Like

Mine just went through DFM as well. I wasn’t aware you could review the results until I saw your post. Mine also shows those same smd resistors not populated. Will be interesting to see how it arrives.

Personally, I think I’ll populate mine if it does come without (assuming I have the resistors), but I don’t think we’re using the ADC channels - are we?

I downloaded my CFM image and am staring at it. First I must say I’m not qualified to be doing this. That said… I notice the 4 resistors in question are marked PU and PD. Now if those were on digital inputs I would guess those were pull-up and pull-down resistors, which might be optionally populated depending on what you wanted to do with those inputs. As ADC inputs, I can’t think of why you’d use pull-up and/or pull-down resistors.

1 Like

I am interested in the ADC inputs for e-bike and go-kart applications. For esk8 they are not needed.

2 Likes

Check the list of components that are not selected. There should only be 4 items that have quantity numbers higher than zero. See if those resistors are includes along with those other 4 things

Those are pull-up and pull-down resistors for the ADC channels and are unpopulated by default. Having them comes in handy for certain situations but you would know if you needed them. They are not needed for typical applications.

4 Likes

I don’t think there is a specific problem with the IMU.

Some of the Flipsky 4.12 controllers have been reported to giving less torque at low RPM in FOC mode. With balance applications this could result in having a ‘less locked in tune’.

Fair enough. So for testing reasons the IMU would work perfectly fine for the 4.12, just wouldn’t be something you put on a daily board

1 Like

This is completely off topic and just a silly idea that popped into my head.

May not be ideal for the low cost nature of this project but how about switching to USB-C and adding the circuitry for USB-C PD so you could charge stuff off the drive battery?

1 Like

Something like that would be put on the creative backlog for my higher voltage stuff. It already has USB-C but it’s not meant for PD stuff right now.

I see an EU group buy thread, is there a US group buy thread?

1 Like

Not yet. Someone from the US hasn’t taken the initiative.

3 Likes

Ah okay. I am trying to figure out how to source one with an IMU for my Onewheel project, but I have no experience soldering (outside of bullet plugs and XT60/90 connectors) and no good soldering equipment.

If you don’t mind assisting us special-needs hobbyists…
Why would one use pull-ups and pull-downs on an analog input? I’ve used them many times on digital inputs, but can’t think of a reason to have them on ADC channels.
Thanks.

1 Like