Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

There is a list of all the parts with links to buy them. For me the pcb ended up being around half the cost, but I ordered a lot from amazon.

Print time depends on your printer/nozzle/settings. Its really up to you how fast you want to print it.

* 60mm x 60mm x 1mm non conductive [Thermal pad](images/thermalPad.jpeg)

Should these not be 0.5mm thick pads?

UPDATE: Ah i just read the parts list on github. I just remembered that shaman used 0.5mm on the beta units.

1mm

Yup, I have the pcbs on the way form JLC.

I think I overdid it :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

In testing,what sort of amperage values are we looking at before heat starts becoming a problem? Woud love to see some logs

1 Like

@NuRxG What are the limits in firmware set to?
Sounds weird to me that 100A spikes throw an error. But what do I know… :smiley: I don’t have CFOC2s at hand yet

someone is having a good time
Screenshot_20200514-191245~2

2 Likes

Along those lines, I currently have three VESC’s in use. Two on my mountain board (6S) and one on my two-wheeled board (10S). These are all 4.12 hardware, and I’m pretty sure none of them have any heat sinks. How important is it for me to use heat sinks on the cheap FOCer 2?

@ziploc Depends if you want to put more current through them? I would guess if you don’t increase the load they should perform about the same. Adding a heatsink to them is so easy tho. You can use just an aluminum plate and few screws.

1 Like

Yeah - I found some very cheap heat-sinks on ebay that will do nicely. I was mostly curious. Thanks.

Will order 5 or more PCBs and Parts in a few days.

I can order and assemble a few extra units if anyone from Europe is interested?

3 Likes

I would be interested in 2 units, I want to assemble them myself but I am not sure if I can assemble them with just a decent soldering iron?

Low-Cost(around $120 for 5 boards and components)

I just placed my JLCPCB/LCSC order. It ran a bit over $180 for 5 boards with shipping. This doesn’t include things like the heat sink. I’m not complaining, but am curious to know whether I did anything wrong. Is that what others are finding?

3 Likes

Sounds right. The shipping is about like ~$50 total for pcb and components. I wish JLC could make it one shipment, but they are two seperate orders.
@shaman Also maybe the BOM cost has increased because of corona? :thinking:

1 Like

142.93$ for 10

*edit* Oh, we’re talking including components, that was US$85.62

1 Like

If you get most of the components mounted by jlcpcb like it was intended it should be pretty easy to assemble by yourself.

1 Like

my 5

Considering that shipping is pretty expensive, then ordering 10 seems like better option

Shipping is expensive for me too.

So its around 182$ without cables and heatsink for 5pcs.
This is without customs duty and if i choose DHL express.

UPDATE:
For 10pcs the total is 252.5$ so it makes sense to do a big order.

Just for fun i did a calculation for 50pcs and got 840.55$.

4 Likes