Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Nani?! He’s invincibru!

7 Likes

Integrated On/off switch? Stop teasing lol. JLC is going to be backlogged the day you open up the repo on GitHub.

7 Likes

Whose gonna organize the first group buy? It would be smart to do a bulk order so we can save on the JLC pic n place costs. I would volunteer myself to organize but I don’t have experience with GBs.

8 Likes

DO IT!
I’ll hold your beer!
maybe find some one with experience and have them PM, or open a thread for advice…

I’d do it, but I’m a lazy fukk!

2 Likes

I’m ok with helping those trying to do a group buy. All I’m offering though is consultation and advice for manufacturing the controller.

4 Likes

The on/off switch isn’t anything too fancy. It’s just meant for a mechanical toggle switch. All it does is shut down the 5V power supply that the DRV provides. This then shuts down everything downstream.

5 Likes

@shaman how low is the current consumption when the switch for the 5v supply is off?

4 Likes

out of curiosity, have you run 4.x/5 with an nrf module?

1 Like

I don’t have access to the equipment measure this accurately right now but the DRV only draws 50uA when on standby. The voltage divider for sensing Vbatt will still consume about 1.2mA which will be the majority in this case. So I would say 1.5mA to be safe.

1.5mA isn’t the best standby current when powered down but it’s definitely better than when it’s powered on

8 Likes

@shaman thank you for all your help in getting yhe the pcbs and components right (hopefully).
Just got these in the mail. The fets have been delayed due to…you know what…but looking absolutely gorgeous.
Heres some pics and size comparison with the vesc 4 aka expensive focer.

14 Likes

The repo has been getting reviewed and adjusted this past weekend by a few volunteers from this community of who I’ll give credit to after release and after I have their permission.

It’s really starting to look good btw…

11 Likes

Question space-wise.
Is that kind of standard from JLCPCB, because it looks like you could shrink it down a lot and safe some space?

1 Like

The PCB is 2-layer w/ all the SMD components on one side. This ultimately causes the PCB to be the size it is. The VESC 4 is 4-layer and double sided which allows for the size to shrink but this is much more expensive. The absolute smallest I could get the CFOC2 PCB is about 50mm x 100mm. Of course you’re more than welcome to try and shrink it down yourself after I release the design files.

10 Likes

Ahhhhlright, i see :slight_smile:
I´m not an PCB expert, so others should see what they can get out of it, but i think you did an awesome job sofar!
I´ll see if i can build a few for some cheaper builds later on.

1 Like

:+1:

Yeah the whole 2-layer and mostly single sided design decision is to facilitate low-cost and to maximize assembly from JLCPCB.

9 Likes

My corrected part placement looks ok, but it looked ok to me before it was corrected too lol! The only incorrect thing i noticed was the DRV lol!

7 Likes

Cool. Yeah JLCPCB is good about correcting part placement in their “DFM review”.

FYI @NuRxG is one of those reviewing and improving the GitHub repo and documentation. Going through the ordering process is part of the review

9 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face: whops, posted it in the wrong place :sweat: :sweat:

I feel like such a boomer now.

9 Likes

If you start feeling sick with flu like symptoms, then you can start feeling like a boomer. Otherwise you’re fine.

4 Likes

I’ve been slowly teaching myself to assemble electronics. I don’t have time or reason to add building one of these to my project list. but I keep being drawn to this project.

@shaman this is so cool what you’ve done for the community.

10 Likes