Caution: Meepo V5 Motor / Motor sleeve falling off

Saw this on Reddit about the Meepo v5 Motor sleeves falling off. There doesn’t seem to be any proper way the sleeves are attached to the Motor

More examples from other reddit posts

Timestamped

3 Likes

What in the actual fuck

I’ve spent too long looking at this picture and not enough time looking at the product but are these threads?

And then this bit screws on to it?

Screenshot_20230515_130012

1 Like

Someone else mentioned the sleeve threading on. There also appears to be Glue at play

grafik

1 Like

Ahh that one fully separated from the sleeve core adapter part. Yikes

grafik

It is threads, yes.

This plate has threads
grafik

which threads onto this

like that
grafik

then the sleeve goes over top
grafik
grafik

and bolts onto the silver plate from before.

So nothing but threads holds the sleeve into place.
Accelerating loosens the sleeve and braking tightens the sleeve*

.*

2 Likes

I think this is only on one side, it’s inverted on the other side. I think I saw that prerelease video on the Mini a while back and he said there was an absence of loctite but the orientation of the threads seems more likely

1 Like

yes

Another classic case of a bad hub motor design IMO. Best way is to have the rotating sections bolted on to an inside hub cap (so between the motor and hanger) that way the rotor can never fall off unless all the bolts come out. then you have a sleeve that slips over that and an outside hub cap that keeps the sleeve from coming off the rotor. However, if you loose that outside hub cap and loose the sleeve, then you’re not fucked and can ride on the steel or aluminium until you come to a safe stop.

Oh and breaking and accelerating won’t loosen anything too badly. You do need to regularly double check the bolts to make sure they’re tight but if you loose one or 3 you’re still safe to ride home. (in a design with 6 bolts)

Is this something a little bit of loctite could fix?

The dude in the video above does apply red loctite to the threading and then tightens the fuck out of it. :man_shrugging:t2:

I think that would be fine. It’s metal threads after all

… what I gather is that on acceleration or braking depending on the thread direction, the wheel comes off… ROTFL. What a well thought idea.

I thought meepo was passed this.

Do they still use lingyi esc ?

They do

I guess this is why I prefer ownboard among the China brands.
They use hobbywing esc and those hubs can take a crazy beating.

1 Like

Hello did you find any solution for this problem, because it just happend to me and my board is new from meepo ? Please help .

I would contact meepo regardless and tell them what happened. Try to get a warranty replacement (as a spare ya know)

Otherwise:

How to assemble/disassemble is written in this topic in case you need it.

1 Like

Thanks man , and last thing i wanted to know how much time did take with to get a new wheel from meepo ? And how long does it take for them to respond on emails for this kind of stuff ?

I do not know as I don’t have this issue or needed to get in contact with meepo.

Going from experience shipping could take a few weeks. Responses should be 24/48 hours ish.