Carving on 9+ inch Tires + Different front and rear sized wheels

Hello,

Two questions in one:

a) has anyone experience with running different sized tires front and rear. What are the pros and cons?
I’m playing with the idea of running 9inch pneumatics rear and 10inches in the front.

b) generally speaking are 9 and 10 inch tires nice to carve on or should they only be considered for extreme offroading?

1 Like

Some 9’s have really bad balancing; haven’t tried any 10’s however I’m currently looking at options for a 10" build using 6" rims; the 10x6 sizes seem to be common for gokarts and scooters so may have better balancing in general.

1 Like

I will say that once my 9" tires wore in, 35 MPH (3 years and 1000+ miles experienced rider) is pretty comfy, and I can hit all sorts of small potholes and the occasional stump and still recover. Carving feels nice to me, but I haven’t ridden a lot of alternatives to my own builds.

1 Like

Interesting so having a wheel made up of a smaller, say 4inch rim like trampa, and more rubber around it makes it prone to being imbalanced?

I stick to 9" tires pretty much all the time now. I really like how grounded I feel with them and I feel like that helps me carve deeper and more confidently overall. Every time I go back to 6" wheels they feel squirrely and overreactive.

4 Likes

Ok thanks, did you every try 10s?

Yes but they bulged a bit over my rims and I was afraid I would blow them out so they only lasted a week.

2 Likes

Not at all; there’s a small tire selection for 9 by 4 inch tires, and the tires I chose have terrible concentricity ID to OD so they end up wobbling. There’s a couple models that are better but have less off-road grip, so I haven’t gone that route. Would far rather go straight to 10" and gain the wider selection of tire options. I can still run 4" rims too; 10" seems to really give a lot more options and therefore potential for more high quality tires.

1 Like

That said, there’s still some 10" tires that are terrible too; only way to know is buy a sample of each tire type and compare.

Why? Top fuel racers use big rear/small front tires and axle widths specifically for straight line stability at speed.

Small front tires will bite into carving surface with extra tread on side wall.

Go symmetric front and back. 9 inch tires and hubs are heavy and you can feel it. They whole thing is less responsive and less surfey if that’s ur aim.

1 Like

I’ve been wary of even investing in 9" wheels because I’m afraid of how much further it will force me to move the trucks away from the foot platform, and increase the wheel base.

Especially if you want something carvy.

Ok survey carving is actually my main goal besides being able to do 25mph with a stable feeling. Being able to drive on gravel roads and grass is secondary but would be nice. Right now the vibrations and sometimes traction make driving on those surfaces as well as on rough asphalt roads not as enjoyable as i wished it could be so I considered going 9" or even 10".

I’ll soon upgrade the stock bushings with 90/93 Riptide bushings, maybe that will help as well.

8" on channels is uncompfy
8" on PKPs is compfy af
9" on channels feels so planted and smooth
9" on PKPs is unresponsive
10" as @Andy87 has said before are low quality
11" gokart wheels make you feel like a tank
generally speaking 8"/9" are nicely balanced. 11" are rated for like 100kmh as are balanced hella nice
different sized wheels front and back give a weird stance to the board (personally not a fan) only real reason for it is lightweight where you want it and traction were you need it.

1 Like

I wonder what kind of board you have in mind here.

All my boards with tires happen to be channel trucks.

I have evolve 7s on my Khymera.
They look small, but to me feel very similar to 8 inch Kenda’s.

Then I have 8 inch Kenda’s on my street Flux.
I generally love these.
I find them comfortable and I find this board to be super carvy.

I made a more all terrain minded version of the Flux and that has 9 inch MBS. It also has the slightly wider 3ds trucks.

I really ride it on the road the most.

I am able to carve really well with this board but I think it’s more about the trucks…
But I don’t feel bogged down because of the 9s…
@Venom121212 would probably like this board…

Finally I have a full on mountain board with 9s in the back and 8s in the front.
But I can’t comment on it too much.
I don’t ride it very much these days.

I do think you notice it dive harder with the smaller tires in the front.
But this is also a much shorter deck than the other boards…

I did the smaller tires in front to keep it light. Not so much to change how it turns…

Long story short.
MBS 9s are good tires and worth trying out to experience.

They make the board heavier and do change the way it moves some… But you get used to it.

Here are random pictures of tires next to each other.

1 Like

I rode LHB’s similar built Flux on 9" tires and found it very maneuverable still without bindings. Hopped right on and felt at home so when I come visit, that board has my name on it.

1 Like

The Flux just keeps on giving!!!

I love those two boards.

1 Like