Can't update VESC 4.12 firmware

Hey y’all! long time no see, I haven’t been a regular on here for a couple years. Anyway, here’s what’s up:

I built a new remote this week, and I wanted to set up my VESCS (both 4.12, one Ollin and one Maytech) to work with it. Because they both still have their ages-old 2.xx factory-installed firmware, the vesc-tool is not compatible and requires a firmware update. This worked fine on the Ollin vesc but the maytech vesc seemingly disconnects when the update is complete and when I power cycle and reconnect, the firmware has not updated. I’ve looked around and it seems this has something to do with the bootloader either not being included or not workin right. The vesc-tool apparently can flash the bootloader as well as the firmware, but I’ve heard that if the bootloader is already installed then flashing it via the vesc tool will soft brick my vesc.

in short, can I update my firmware without an st-link?

bump, I guess. The board has been sitting in my closet because I’ve been busy but I’d love to work this out if anyone can point me in the right direction :slight_smile:

Try older versions of the vesc tool, some that match or outdate slightly your VESC. You can find most of the vesc tool versions here. Then work your way up, i reckon that you can jump some versions so it doesn’t take ages.

1 Like

Here are some screenshots of what I’m seeing. When I connect the VESC, this message pops up:

I can seemingly update the firmware as instructed:

When it finishes though, it disconnects and this pops up:

at which point I can’t connect to it. If I wait, turn it off, and turn it back on I’m back at square one - I connect, and it gives me the warning about the old firmware etc etc. basically, the firmware isn’t actually updating. I have an st-link on hand but I’m not sure how to use it and as I said before I’m worried it might mess something up if I do it wrong.

cool, I’ll try this. I’m pretty sure the version I’m using is pretty old but I’ll report back in a sec.

welp, looks like none of the listed versions of the vesc tool are compatible with my firmware. I tried the oldest available version and it gave the same errors. It’s on firmware 2.18 if the vesc tool I have is to be believed. What’s weird is that my other vesc seemed to work fine… :thinking:

Try some other versions too. You gotta match it, date wise. Also, maybe try updating the bootloader, or reflash it, works sometimes too. If taht doesn’t fix it, I’m at my wits end.

1 Like

Every time I have just reuploaded the bootloader and it fixed the problem in my limited experience.

2 Likes

Dope, I’ll try that now. If it bricks it bricks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I’m a vesc noob, but iirc if you brick it, you can use one working vesc to push the boot loader and software to the non working vesc correct?

Also I’d add try a different cable shortest one you have.

3 Likes

I know so little about the vesc! I spent a ton of time on the forums like, three or four years ago but I forgot a lot of stuff while I was gone (highschool caught up to me lol). I saw you could do this in the vesc tool but my VESCS aren’t CAN’d so I don’t think I can do it.

Have you tried the SWD PROG procedure?

1 Like

it worked! lol I should have just tried this earlier. Time to mess with it :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

3 Likes

100% :grinning::grinning:

1 Like