Can I run my 13s4p (safely!) DIY build with a DV4s?

Hi this is my first build and I’m hoping I can get some help. I recently had a 13s4p battery built and I planned on using a DV4s and a pair of Flipsky 6374 motors.

My battery has the following specs…

Molicel P42a = 4200mah
Capacity = 16.8Ah
Nominal Energy = 786wh
Max Discharge = 120-180A
Max Voltage = 54.6V
Max Charge Current = 19A

The DV4s has the following specs…

Voltage - 8-60V (3-12s Lipo)
Current - MOTOR 60A cont , 100A max (per)
- BATTERY 40A cont , 80A max (per)

I know the DV4s says its only compatible up to 12s but it also says 60V max. So I’m wondering if I can just tweak the settings in the VESC tool to 60V (or 55V)? Or is that a bad idea for some reason? Thanks

The problem u have is voltage spikes.
Yes u can run 13s if you’re careful , a lot of ppl did on unity’s etc but you’re very close to the voltage limit which means if u forget or brake on a hill when fully charged it’ll probably go boom

1 Like

Ok thanks. Is braking on a hill while fully charged the only risk?

1 Like

I believe u have an erpm limit with vesc 4 of 60,000 which can be an issue with higher kv motors

2 Likes

Yeah the main issue is voltage spikes. If you plan to use the brakes at all, don’t go 13S the ESC will go up in smoke. You don’t even need a hill for that.

@ESk8Ottawa The 60V rating is the rating of most components by themselves. That rating only concerns the engineers designing a product using those components. If you use 60V rated caps at 60V they are not going to last long, even if you don’t have voltage spikes (which you will have no matter what you do). Electrolytic caps for example are only supposed to ever see 75% of their rated voltage. They are commonly rated 63V so 75% of that is 47V. On older 60V vescs 12S was already pushing the limit blowing up many. On the newer ones like the DV4S you will be completely safe on 12S. But I don’t think it will survive for long at 13S.

1 Like

It’s probably fine. I ran a unity at 13s for a while

No.

Just because it might work doesn’t mean it’s safe. Specs are specs for reasons. If it was safe, the spec would be 13S. It’s not.

3 Likes

Voltage spikes arent the issue. transient voltage spikes are the issue, which are not only caused by braking. I wouldnt do it if I were you, that extra voltage margin is there to protect you and the hardware. Buy a D100s if you wanna run the 13s battery.

5 Likes

Listen to Evan. My comment should have ended with “and after a year it blew up” because that’s what did happen

3 Likes

could buy this d100 and sell your dv4s

@Lahkun ??

Ah yes, sold the spare cheap. Motors are still available.

1 Like

Sent you a message on Reddit for the motors.

Edit: saw you replied

Thanks everyone. Not gonna do it. I’ll order a D100s.

2 Likes