Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

@RipTideSports

I have FatBoy Surf Rodz hangers that have too narrow of a bushing seat vertically.

Should I just use cone bushings with the narrow end towards the hanger? Or should I slice the sides of the bushings a bit to make them fit? Also, if I go with a fatcone in the rear, I probably need it slightly softer than the rest to make up for the extra urethane, right?

1 Like

Sorry I have been so absent from here. We moved RipTide and ourselves from California to Oregon and we are finally getting settled in. I will try to post some answers here later today but the task of moving has been daunting but I am confident we have made the right moves!

10 Likes

This is the new Trist DKP truck I do not have any data on the heights of the bushings used, can you provide?

I would modify the deck to eliminate the clearance issues. If not get a mixed pair of a KranK 93a FatCones / Chubby and run the Chubby, boardside rear and the FatCone boardside front

1 Like

I would go with the Verreal kit in 87/90.

1 Like

I have not tried the FatBoys but it appears they will take Cones, Barrels and FatCones. If you are using a FatCone boardside in the back and a Barrel up front it should enhance stability without loosing much agility

On my current setup with them I have a fatcone and barrel in the back which deal with the too-narrow opening fine because they’re cranked down quite a bit, but at the front I’m using double cones the wrong way round :cry:

I guess my options are repeating that setup, or grinding the hanger / cutting the bushings to fit, but I don’t know what would be the best tool / method of cutting bushings.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I’m going to be modifying the deck too, just want to cover all my bases. I think a more progressive feel is desirable anyway. :+1:

I really do not understand why you are using cones flipped upside down. Can you post a picture that will explain

1 Like

Not at home right now but hopefully this picture explains it:

cone dont fit right

The opening for the bushing seat is slightly too small, so the bushing doesn’t make flat contact with the hanger. Instead it gets stuck and wobbles. Unless I crank it down super hard. That’s why I’m using cones (that have a narrow end) with the narrow end towards the hanger :disappointed:

Not-ideal pic but maybe helps:

Chop bushing, or chop hanger, that is the question.

1 Like

Are you sure those are cones and not Our FatCones. FatCones are designed to run the smaller diameter towards the hanger

They’re small cones, I’m sure of it. I have a fatcone in the rear, which works because I have the rear cranked down quite hard. Although it’s probably not being squished evenly, so could better.

Looks like the hangers are not designed correctly or designed for some other purpose. When you get home, post a picture of the bushing seat as it does not show in the pictures above.

1 Like

I measured with calipers, the issue lies within the fact that normal Surf Rodz RKP hangers have 25mm of vertical space in the bushing seat, but the Fat Boy version only has about 22mm of space. And the diameter of standard barrel bushings is 25mm of course.

Pinging @3DServisas – if you make more of these in the future, please make the bushing seat opening larger.

4 Likes

Bushings diameter is 25 mm, height 15 mm, hole diameter 10 mm. As for trucks, inner diameter 26 mm, hole diameter 16 mm

1 Like

Pro tip is not to use SZ hangers as a design guide for a bushing seat. They look cool but their functionality and utility are severely lacking.

1 Like

Chop or replace the hangers so you will not continue to run into this issue with commonly available bushing shapes. I would really like to se firsthand what the issues are before you modify them. Care to send me one?

Eh, idk how many people use these besides me. When Moon makes narrower Luna trucks then that will be an option for people who want rake. I just bought these because I knew I could get adjustable baseplates for them for cheap lol.

I think I’ll try cutting some cheap bushings I own to size first, and if that fails, just use the flipped cones like I am now. With Riptide urethane it’s not that terrible actually :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Doesn’t the oval shape allow the hanger to shift a bit / turn more? At least I noticed they did on my set before I put surf-keys in for stability.

1 Like

Brad, I would appreciate you reply. Just got Venom plug bushings that I ordered some time ago but they don’t fit. These are 16,5 mm high, a bit taller than original but the main problem is the insert part, it is 16,75 mm in diameter, but the hole in the trucks is around 15 mm so I cannot squeeze it in, maybe only if I tighten really hard or cut them a bit. I was thinking about Krank Chubby but I am not sure whether the insert part will go in? Plus the insert part there seems very short, though since it is on both bushings maybe in total this will be enough. Can you please advise which one will fit?

Just cut the insert off and see how they work. The insert is kind of superfluous if the bushing fits the seat and the kingpin well.