Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

For the sake of argument, it is covered just a couple of posts up, for TB218’s substitute Canons and Magnums as the bushing choices and back off the durometer choices three points:

Thats the issue that I would like cleared up too. I have had conflicting info regarding angles. The original evo was a different wedge dewedge set up to the current version and now LY supply the complete with 50’ bears. I originally set mine up with 35’ and it was horrible. I played with different angles and found 50’s to be the most stable.
What I haven’t done is play with angles after updating bushings. I will order up some of yours and then begin the process again. Thanks Brad.

1 Like

It is really odd that Landy does that and no compensation for the angles, it is almost like they forgot why they made the EVO to begin with

2 Likes

I’m guessing it makes it more user friendly for the average joe. I’m no pro downhiller so 50’s feel more stable. Those crazy assed maniacs like it loosey goosey. There is also a big difference with a nice slow build up rather than a rip your soles off start up. My first take off the rear walked all over the place on 35’s Scared the shit out of me. Saying that when I first set the thing up the trucks were loose enough to get some decent turning and hell no at 40mph. Tightened up to the turning circle of a mack truck and I was back in the game. Now I run the trucks much looser so its all a learning curve. Anyway I have ordered up some combos so let the games begin.

2 Likes

Was forwarded from DM to here so I am asking here for my sisters build :wink:

I am looking for some help with bushings for my sister. She is 10 and weighs around 43kg.

Setup is:

TB218 on 36" switchblade with 107mm, max speed 20-30km/h.

Regarding riding style is complete beginner, so I think simple turnability and stability would be good because lack of weight to make turns will be hard I think but maybe our master @RipTideSports has some ace in his sleeves!

3 Likes

@Kug3lis, you are definitely a cool brother to have!

I think I would suggest going with a Cone / Canon front and a Canon / Canon rear. For her weight, KranK 84a should be perfect. so you don’t need to order three pairs of bushings, order two pair of KranK Canon 84a and ask us to mix one pair as a Cone / Canon combination. If you don’t have flat and cupped washers available, get our small flats and large cups and we will add a small cupped for the Cone in the mix. Links are below:

4 Likes

Also regarding pivot cup would 96A work or get lighter ones?

1 Like

Stick with the 96a, best all around!

@RipTideSports I’m planning a build with 50deg 9" Caliber IIs and a bamboo 22x6 (clone penny board), I am 130lbs and am looking for the most turning and control at 15mph. Will I need to replace the stock bushings or can I get away with them?

1 Like

It might work just fine, try it before you change it, we need a datapoint to work from anyway! If it works, we can’t fix it!

1 Like

I had a good spill because of speed wobbles on my previous build and this time around I decided to be more careful in my choice of components because getting slammed back first at 33mph took me out for a week and even gave me minor memory loss for an hour or so.

I’m working with fatboy 240mm hangers, Hammock adjustable baseplates set to 53° front and 33° rear, chubby barrels (red color, board side) and normal barrel 96rear and 93 front (purple front, grey rear, road side) with large cup washers and your caliber 2 pivot cups.

I also use bindings so I’m ok with a stiff feel because I can really crank the deck for tight turns.

My question here is have I made the right choice in bushings? Can or should I use a different combo for stability at 35+mph?

And some final thoughts. My first ride on your bushings was completely different from anything I’ve tried before. They made me feel confident at speed again and to be honest I’ll never buy a different brand of bushings.

1 Like

That is a really stiff setup but it should be dead stable at speed.
I would use softer duro in the front as I believe it would limit your maneuverability as it is but if it works for you …

1 Like

I’m open to experiment. I would just really like to avoid getting slammed again, even though it was on a horrible set up when it happened. I’ve been able to recover from wobbles lots of times before but this last one really shook me. I may have overcompensated this go.

I’ll probably put the 93 in the back and go down one more step in the front.

Try something closer to 90 on the front.
Increasing truck angles decreases leverage and vice versa so for example 90duro bushings feel stiffer on a 53 degree baseplate compared to a 33degree.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the help!

1 Like

Perhaps it is late, but I read your set up 3 times and still do not know exactly what the set up is bushing wise, can you post pictures?

Hi @RipTideSports

This is my build

I’m yet to ride it but the stock bushings that come with the eCaliber trucks are defo too loose… I’ve got a half inch riser running 97mm flywheels so wheel bite is a concern…

I’ve tightened up the kingpin nut to experiment with with stiffening the setup but find that the bushing pops out from the cup when I test this… So they’re defo too soft.

Ride style wise I’m a heavy leaner (90-100kg) lots of back foot heel and toe force… (wake boarding style?) I’ll be using this for a day to day cruiser that carves under aggressive input… For tighter turning situations ill be using the kick to pop the front to pivot for a turn… If you get my drift…

Does that help?
Chur my bro!

1 Like

Hey, looking at your site I was pretty off on my original post. the bushings I’m using are as follows.

93a crank magnum board side. crank cannon 96 rear, 93 front roadside with large cup washer roadside and large washer boardside.

1 Like

Now I am confused too. So:

Rear
BS: krank magnum 93
RS: krank Canon 96

Front
BS: krank magnum 93
RS: krank Canon 93

If that is the case, I would go with
Rear: all 96
Front: all 90

and tune from there.
I would only use the magnum in the board side.

1 Like

Yep that’s it.