Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

I’m wondering if you can help here. I’m running surfrodz tkp with stock bushings and at bergmeister wheels. The setup is awesome and it carves like crazy but I notice they seem to get looser and looser with each ride.

Inspecting the bushings I notice the hole seems to have widened from usage which I think is the culprit here.

What’s your advice should I switch to some premium riptides for the same carvebility? I’m pretty stable going 45kph/28mph too but it does take skill when going in a straight line so if you can help with that too that’d be great.

I weigh 85kg/187lbs. I’m 180cm/5’9 tall.

1 Like

180cm is 5’11
Don’t sell yourself short :wink:

3 Likes

Weird, Siri gave me 5’9.

Fire the bitch…

2 Likes

I am 210lbs (95kg) and I use my boards for transportation. I’m really hard on them and often carry heavy stuff, so frequently I’m 260lbs (118kg) with load. I’m building on a Powell Peralta OG Bug 01 Lime using Caliber2 50° and huge 110mm wheels. This board will be going 30mph regularly – and I keep the back trucks tighter so when the nose is off the ground it’s more stiff.

Historically my front trucks alway hit wheelbite sooner and need a tad more riser and/or deeper cutouts than my rear ones do. I can make the wheel well deeper up front, that’s no issue.

I’ve decided I’m going to try Riptide bushings and pivot cups. @RipTideSports Which ones would you advise to try?

I was thinking maybe

front boardside: KranK Magnum 93A / flat washer
front roadside: KranK Cone 90A / flat washer

rear boardside: KranK Magnum 96A / cupped washer
rear roadside: KranK Canon 96A / cupped washer

WFB 100A pivots front and rear

Does that sound reasonable? Any suggestions?

4 Likes

I should have time Monday to pay attention here!

3 Likes

@esk8manbabes what color are the bushings as SZ ships with specified bushings hardness. The definitely appear to be too soft for your weight if you are elongating the ID.

@b264 interesting deck choice for RKP’s, your functional wheel base is going to be really short and 50 degree front and back, you must be a very experienced skater! Magnums are not really a good fit for Calibers as the best fits are Cones, Canons, FatCones and Chubbys. I would suggest the following:

front boardside: KranK FatCone 93A / flat washer (supplied)
front roadside: KranK Cone 93A / cupped washer (not supplied)

rear boardside: KranK Chubby 96A / flat washer (supplied)
rear roadside: KranK Canon 96A / cupped washer (not supplied)

WFB 96A pivots front and rear

3 Likes

I’d say dark blue. They came with my Psychotiller order. Don’t remember which bushings were chosen or telling him which ones I wanted.

Here’s a photo from when I first got them. Where the color is still seen the best.

Here is a recent one.

1 Like

@RipTideSports bushing suggestions for 30/60 (rear/front) split config on Hammocks + TB218s for 180lb rider? Currently running Krank 93 Cannons in all 4 positions except the rear boardside, which is a Magnum, with flat washers. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and I also loosened the kingpin nuts. I don’t think I can loosen them any further now. They are both already almost flush with the kingpin end.

The turning has certainly improved and the board remains stable at speed. It’s still a lot of effort to do sharp turns at low speed. I can only do it by repositioning my front foot such that roughly half of it is out of the board and I have to put a lot of weight into the turn. The difference to my other board with DKP trucks is huge (though I understand that’s comparing apples and oranges). Anyway, do you think the turning could be further improved by replacing the bushings for softer ones? Do you have a specific recommendation?

The fastest I go is ~40 km/h (~25 mph) so I don’t really need the board to be super stable. I would rather have better maneuverability.

1 Like

What issues are you having with the current setup?

1 Like

OK @esk8manbabes, SZ black is 93 and their blue is 90. The bushings you have do not look like either. In any event, SZ TKP’s benefit from harder bushings than you think you need so I suggest getting a pair of KranK 93a and KranK 96a Barrels so you have some tuning options. Be sure to have both flat and cupped washers available and try the following to see what you like best: I list bushings roadside / boardside.

93a/96a front and back
96a/93a front and back
96a/93a front, 93a/96a back
93a/93a front, 96a/96a back

2 Likes

Oh none yet because I haven’t taken it out, but I’m about to rn! I was preemptively getting some advise incase this setup is sub-optimal for split angles, but will go for a ride and tell you how it goes!

1 Like

Can’t fix it unless it’s broken…

Just took it out for a little run and honestly I have zero complaints with the current set-up (30/60 Krank 93 Cannons in all 4 positions except the rear boardside, which is a Magnum, with flat washers).

It’s hard to tell but it may be that front end it just ever so slightly less stable at high speed with this set-up. I’d like to be able to hit some hard turns on dime if possible with this set-up, do you have suggestions to increase the carviness/better turning radius without compromising stability at high speed? I ride with a downhill stance, putting alot of weight on the front of my board - would you suggest a different approach to stance for this set-up? Thanks again @RipTideSports

1 Like

What washer configuration do you have with the Canons @whaddys? Also remember the starting point for KranK adjustment is just tight enough to remove all the slop then you have about 2 full turns of the king pin nut to adjust

So for both front and back the washer config is big flat (riptide) washer boardside and small flat (organgatang) washer roaside. I only used the OTang washers because I only had 2 of your big flat ones lol, optimally I would be using your big flat ones in all 4 positions.

This is good to know, I’ll redo the compression bearing this in mind and play around tomorrow. I generally have the back much tighter than the front - is this the best approach for stability at high speed while dialing in my turning?

Get some cupped washers for the Canons and adjust from there.

1 Like