Building out a home made MTB deck

I figured I’d document this build as I’m trying out a few things for the first time and learning as I go. Mainly pressing a deck.

I made my mold for the deck by cutting several 2x4’s into 1.2m lengths, then marking & cutting the cross-section profile from the side of my deck, working from outer edge to the centre.

Other than the 35 degree angles for the trucks, I wanted the deck to be mostly flat in the middle but pocketing in towards the foot bed with slight curves and concaves on the heel and toe. To acheive this, I started with my side profile higher at the footbed on the outer ends, and cut the 2x4’s deeper as it headed towards the middle of the footbed. Once all the pieces were cut, I glued and screwed them together and spent around 2-3 hours sanding the mold until the individual lengths blended into one, and the shape was somewhat uniform.


After already failing my first maple sheet/fibreglass pressing attempt due to some weird chemical reaction between the deck glue and the fibreglass resin, I decided to just keep it simple and do an all Canadian Maple sheet deck for my second attempt. I purchased the sheets of Roarockit and watched several DIY tutorials on pressing decks to make my decision on how I wanted to go ahead with it.

I originally built a large timber frame press with steel supports, utilising car jacks to push the suspended top mold down to the bottom mold, but ultimately the amount of pressure from the car jacks snapped the timber frame so I went back to basics and just used braces and clamps, which proved to give a surprising amount of clamping strength. I used the wood glue from Roarockit. Not sure if its any better than other wood glues but it certainly did the trick.


I didn’t really have a shape in mind for the deck and never had anything drawn up in CAD. My only requirements were that it would fit the TPU footpads and battery box enclosures that I make, so I basically drew a few different shapes over the sheets until I was happy, then cut it.

Once it was cut and sanded, it was time to start bolting some bits together. As much as I’d love to buy a new set of trucks and motor mounts, I decided to make use of these Trampa Vertigo’s that were on a previous build. They were a little banged up and I didn’t want the colours, so it was time to sandblast and respray.

I just had a quick test fit and a few jumps on the deck to test the durability and it’s holding up great. My next project is a slightly bigger enclosure for the batteries, as I want to hold 4x 12000mAh lipo’s in there to quickly hot-swap for longer range travel. It looks like it only needs to be about 30mm longer than my standard boxes…I’m thinking of doing a mostly alumimium enclosure, with JDM clips for ease of access


Damn that’s-a ton of work, nice! How did the deck feel turn out and what’s the flex like?

1 Like

Feels great barefoot. Flex is in a sweet spot for my weight, not too much but not too little. I’ll try to grab a video next time I’m working on it

1 Like

The deck looks so good and so does your work space

I might have to steal your diy spray booth idea :rofl: I’ve just been doing it outside and hoping small bugs don’t try and land on my parts since they like to kill themselves that way for some reason.

Sometimes glues and epoxies will be dry to the touch and even cured according to the manufacturer’s information on the product, but they’ll still be releasing chemicals. Which isn’t an issue most of the time, but can cause curing issues for other products if you don’t wait long enough before using them.

I have no idea if that is what caused the issue or not, but it is a possibility. It could also just be that the wet glue caused the cure issues if you tried to do both at once

1 Like


Yeah the booth came out of necessity as I was trying to save and re-use as much sand as possible for the blasting process. I actually haven’t used it for painting but that’s a great idea.

It sounds like you’ve hit the nail on the head with the lack of curing of the wood glue/resin. I had left it for about 4 days which may not have been enough, I’m not sure. When I popped open the mold the sheets were pretty glued together in the center but the edges weren’t bound together really well. It could have also been a pressing issue due to lack of pressure with my first press rig.

1 Like

I know for silicone mold making people tend to wait at least a week after the stated cure time but silicone is more sensitive than epoxy. If it wasn’t pressed hard enough the epoxy would still cure since it wouldn’t be affected by that.

The photos made it look like it was for paint. I wish I had space to store a sand blaster so I could justify buying one because removing old finish takes so much longer without one

The unit I use is quite small as I don’t have a lot of space in my workshop either, and I store it in the “booth” I made for spraying. I suppose you’d also need room for the compressor too, which then starts to take up a bit of room


Just got my enclosures back from the Lazer cutter and I’m pretty happy with how they’ve turned out. Next step is to add some JDM clips on the battery box for easy opening/battery hot-swapping, some colour on the logos and mount them on to the deck. After that, I’m toying with the idea of some 65mm wide 3D hubs that I’ve worked on. I know 3DP hubs are a touchy subject amongst some on this forum🤣…
watch this space


Looking good dude. Love that enclosure


Well this project hit a big standstill while life took over, but i decided to cut some shapes into the deck to give it some new life and maybe entice me to finish building.

Now that @Ean.esk8 has his new 3 links out, i might try them out on this build eventually