Building A 12S4P battery Are these parts okay options?

Hey guys, so I found out my origional 12s4p Battery is toast, I wanted to see if these parts would be okay to replace the origional with via diy project since the battery cover is unique.
Also a few questions:

1. What guage wire should I use?
  2. will a spot welder and fusing wire suffice (along with proper insulate, tape, etc)

bms: Daly 12s 50.4v BMS for Li-Ion Battery Packs — MBoards

batteries: Molicel/NPE INR-21700-P42A 4200mAh 21700 Battery - Authorized Dealer – Liion Wholesale Batteries

I understand that you’re enthusiastic, but building a battery properly is not something to be taken lightly.

I suggest spending some quality time in the battery builders thread and absorbing as many do’s and dont’s as you can.

Would personally prefer a smart JBD bms over the dumb daly, but sometimes space constraints require the daly. I’d suggest tgis one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006418029141.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=631-313-3945&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbActive=false&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=19374039298&albag=&trgt=&crea=en1005006418029141&netw=x&device=m&albpg=&albpd=en1005006418029141&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArLyuBhA7EiwA-qo80P-OIusuEJ4TyNYZuw-CutQU4Xm7kttAYFG-GyQunVZ1RIsJ7wl_TBoCf-oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=a501d1612d7b4e08b1abb2835c35de65-1708117772141-04269-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=a501d1612d7b4e08b1abb2835c35de65-1708117772141-04269-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=84ac977793784cfaa69fb1bb4a38f752&afSmartRedirect=y

3 Likes

You can use this chart to determine your gauges, and keep in mind it’s usually better to use multiple sets of smaller wires in parallel, to reduce heat during soldering and build in some redundancy.

The standard insulating materials here are fish paper and kapton tape.

If you’re referring to wire that acts as a fuse for each cell, that’s typically not done here in the world of esk8, since one disabled cell will screw over the whole pack anyway.

Most people here use either a kweld or a malectrics spot welder, which you may be able to rent or lend from someone on the forum. Spot welding batteries is pretty difficult to get consistent results with, you should expect to have to do a lot of practice before building your first pack.

Just be aware that you’re biting off a big project, and you should ask for feedback from forum members as you go to make sure you’re not making an unsafe battery. I second the recommendation to read the battery builders thread for a while before starting.

3 Likes

gotcha, I ordered the batteries, I’ll be sure to do research and look into the forums for the next few weeks. I’ll also include a photo here, the way they did them factory is they have wire leads coming off each set. What your saying is I shouldnt do it like that with the wire leads? My vision is to make something that atleast looks safer. But id still like to copy for the most part what they had done. the sport welder i have is 80 gear, link below

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BV6KVTNZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

do you think 2P/3P/4P Nickel Strip for 21700, Sold in 10' Quantities | eBay

is okay for the 4 cell layout, i replied to flyboy how its layed out from factory, so im assuming i’ll have to sodder leads from 2 clusers of 4 together. I’ll probably use 10 guage wire if im not off. I’ve purchased everything else that id need though, besides the metal strips, because I want to buy the safest option for the layout.

Buying everything before you’ve done any real research is kinda trigger happy.

That ladder nickel is garbage.

2 Likes

There are lots of youtube reviews on the spot welders with the built in battery and USB charging similar to what you linked.

A lot of them find they can only do 0.12mm nickel, not 0.15 or 0.20.

You won’t really know until you try it with the actual strip, on the actual cells.

My practice cell test settings, did not translate to the new cells. They looked and felt ok when I made them, but I was wrong, and had to start over.

I read here that the cans of P42a are more difficult to weld to, requiring more power than on other cells.

Look at some rb e motion battery build videos on youtube. He goes by shuttershock here.
The videos helped me realize how little I knew of the process of building an Esk8 battery. The unknown unknowns.

There are some incredible battery builds here, appreciated even more after having built one.

4 Likes

If you’re only going to be building one battery it is probably gonna be more cost effective (and safer) to get a pro to do it .

1 Like

gotcha, I think im going to return the battery spot welder then if testing doesnt work, (this unit does have good power so i plan to try a test) , not sure if id trust 100% it myself without testing, but I did test on .15 before on 18650’s because I had a different project (that I enver completed because of dead cells in the mix) and it stuck well though on a high setting, but id rather be safe since you mention its nutorius for not welding right. I do have complete confidence in building this though, I ve been watching alot of his videos throughout the past 2 days and they make sense to me luckily, along with exploring the forums most of yesterday. Ive gone through and purchsed most saftey measures as a pre req. I’ll be posting photos on the battery thread within a few days of the systems current layout so I can copy it

gotcha, would you recommend 10mm normal strip? I just want whatever is going to make the most stable connection on a 4 battery square cell setup

So, Ive returned the other spot welder and got one rated for 0.3, Its definitely alot more powerful. Im probably going to desolder the main connections to reuse on the battery, Overall im confident in the project. Just waiting on final bits to come in.