Build Critique Request

I’m planning my first build and would love some constructive criticism. My goal is to be able to hit ~30mph, >25 mile range, and have a board with an authoritative, responsive feel - plenty of torque. I may want to keep the door open for AT riding, but I’m mostly interested in cruising around town and commuting. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

• Long Board Setup
  • Dual TB 6374 on TB 218mm trucks (single kingpin)
  • 14T/40T pulleys
  • TB 110 74A wheels (streets and sidewalks around here can be kind of chunky)
  • 12s4p pack
  • Focbox Unity or the new TB ESC that’s coming soon
3 Likes

If you want a range larger than 25miles you’ll need to increase the p count of your pack.

You could squeek out 25 miles if you rode at 20mph the whole ride, without giving it too much gas… But that’s no fun x)

I would go 6p if you can, it’ll be a bit more expensive but it’ll be leagues more fun :man_shrugging:t2:

Not to mention better for your pack, as you won’t be scraping the metaphorical bottom of the cells capacity, it’ll lead to better battery health

5 Likes

I think if you’re gonna entertain the idea of a larger pack, you’ll need to choose the deck and enclosure before you iron out any of the other details (except ESCs, BMSs… The small stuff doesn’t matter toooo much)

Like my enclosure / deck only fits 4p 18650 and 3p 21700. I should have really thought about it before I committed because I’m honestly fairly unsatisfied with the range. Just kept pushing ahead and now I’m $2500+ into the project.

No turning back now :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

So much truth here. Buy a bigger battery with more range than you’d expect. As big as you can afford and fit.

My 10s5p starts losing the torquey acceleration around 70% capacity.

I’m getting a 12s9p so that I can go on 20-30 mile rides without feeling the sag. I should be able to hit around 60 miles total.

2 Likes

What cell? 30t or p24a are my new default cells, 30q just doesn’t cut it imo :thinking:

With single drive that battery would be enough for the range. But dual drive feels way better, so yeah, either get a bigger battery, or more efficient drive train (gears or direct drive)

30Q cells, should have mentioned that.

1 Like

Since it was a TB pack I was assuming it’s 30q. They’re good, don’t let me try and tell you otherwise, but they aren’t a peak performance cell.

I’m assuming you won’t be drawing the 180a+ that 6p 30t would provide, so the 30q would make more sense since they both have the same capacity as they’re cheaper and smaller :ok_hand:

Yeah, but now you’ve got me drooling over this pack. I think it’ll fit (TB40" deck btw).

30q for the dimensions. The 9p will still give me 180A not that I could ever pull anywhere near that.

1 Like

Read this, do this. Don’t make mistakes others have made countless times before you :joy:

My other advice — after you’ve went through steps 1 through 4 — is that with those wheels you should run a 15:44 ratio at 190Kv or less. Maybe 170Kv to 200Kv, assuming 12S li-ion voltages. Don’t use a wheel pulley smaller than 44T if responsive is your goal. This is a really good option, depending of course on the truck hangers you plan to use.

1 Like