The Talon | 10s5p | Dual 6354 | 6 Inch

Are we talking catching fire while riding poor quality?

These don’t need to match. Motor current should be higher than battery current. 15A motor max probably won’t even move a 7 year old very much.

1 Like

There is a search function at the top and MBoards is discussed in depth.

2 Likes

@Mawzie as a General guide:
Motor amps limits the low speed power, the amount of “off the line” torque.
Battery amps limit the power available when going speed.

Hidden somewhere in the vesc there is also an option to limit watts. IMO this is a better way to limit available power on a beginner board as a Watt limit feels much more linear and keeps the power constant as the battery level or speed changes.

5 Likes

Depends on the riding, and the pack. If your pack is going to be subjected to any kind of flexing, then there is a reasonable likelyhood that the welds inside the pack may break, or something may pinch and cause a short. That would be really bad.

If its just one of his brick shaped packs, and it will not be subjected to any flex (stiff deck, stiff enclosure, etc.) then its unlikely (though not impossible) that it might catch fire.

Really they are just poorly constructed packs, and every time you use or charge it you are going to be rolling the dice.

3 Likes

Built one for my son too (he’s 9), it’s a great feeling to ride with him.

Only thing I did was limit the speed by creating a VESC Tool profile. He can currently ride safely up to 30 km/h.
Regarding acceleration and braking we have normal settings, didn’t feel a need to do anything as a VESC is already pretty controllable.

When I was a kid I was trying downhills and sometimes falling hard at higher speeds due to terrible boards and speed wobbles. Never wore a helmet or any other protection; different times and places…

8 Likes

Looks good man. You’re a great dad :call_me_hand:

Still trying to get my boy to love skating like I do and he just turned 8.

7 Likes

Thanks that’s a helpful way of understanding it! I’ll see if I can’t find it!

Big oof. I don’t think it’ll be subjected to too much flex for now at least. He’s really light as of now but as he grows into it I can see this being an issue.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the compliment!

2 Likes

Looks like there’s a few posts about packs going out. Stupid on my part. Thanks for the warning.

2 Likes

Using things most other people don’t use is a good way to be the person finding the bugs in the software. This is the reason I didn’t mention it.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter very much how much flex it is. Only if there is flex. If the battery is subjected to any flex at all, no matter how little, then it’s totally different than a battery that’s not flexing at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies @b264! Really knowledgeable, I have a long ways to go before I feel like I could even provide someone advice.

Lots of people use it. It’s a feature that’s been there since very old versions and is well proven.

I have usually set this up as part of my metr profiles which is why I don’t know where the setting is in vesc tool but if you have fw5 then i Think the easy way is to set a Watt limit as part of a vesc profile.

5 Likes

Very good to know :+1:

Any suggestions for easy access to the VESC? I’m finding that it’s a pain in the ass to keep unscrewing 18 screws and nuts just to tinker in the VESC. Has anyone ran a cable connected to the VESC out and secured it to the motor wires?

1 Like

You can buy a bluetooth dongle for pretty cheap.

2 Likes

Derp, thanks. Super new to this and very inexperienced.

1 Like

@Oddcomo Would this be ok?

1 Like

Yes, you need an android phone and make sure you select the right vesc (v4 or v6)

1 Like

Thanks. Luckily I have both so shouldn’t be an issue. Gonna try and find one stateside. Don’t wanna pay the DHL shipping for just that.