Budget Build Challenge!!

I’ll help you out with a cheap battery… I have built three full batteries this far. Need more practice. All three batteries have had zero issues and plenty of power. I have learned from some of the best in the biz. Let me know I’ll do cost plus 100

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t currently build batteries and need to include price of a charger. Sorry for leaving that info out!

Touché! I have for a few months but thought it would be good to rattle the brains of a few with more experience and get a fresh perspective before I pulled the trigger on anything.

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Thanks so much man. I really appreciate that. I will more than keep that in mind!!

Yeah sales threads for sure are your best friend here. Just recently completed a really really nice build for just around $1200 and buying everything new would have cost me almost $2000. GDs and urethane though, no pneumatics. It’s definitely possible.

4 Likes

First, remember this at all times:

Second, at this price point, you’re going to need to strongly consider a single-motor drive. You can probably get one large motor and one good ESC for less than two shitty motors and two shitty ESCs, and also keep high-quality components and repairability/upgradability.

I’d advise you to figure out bullet points 1 through 3 before buying anything.

9 Likes

This is the real protip to cheap good stuff

1 Like

Take a look at 2nd hand markets, stuff there is usually cheaper. A few days ago I saw a Wowgo sell for $30 on offerup granted it was for parts, the deck and enclosure looked mighty fine (deck was carbon fiber). It also had a VX1 which is nice.

A few days ago I also bought 2 board for $50, one was a meepo and the other I have no clue, but the both have enclosures and motors. Granted they’re hub motors, but for $50 its not a bad deal at all. If u have some time and can wait look into the 2nd hand market, just don’t buy a battery pack from there I don’t recommend.

3 Likes

granted these types of offers are very rare it is possible to get stuff very cheap.

2 Likes

Well I guess it depends on like what tools you got and such. I would honestly just say do a bkb build for a first “diy” to get a feel for it then since it uses a vesc you can upgrade it to something way better

1 Like

This is very close to your budget, I don’t consider it a budget build but it is what it is.

44mph top end.
Handles hills, and will jump and grind!

5 Likes

yep lipos are def worth it on a budget build as they are quite a bit cheaper to use
also take into account small things which if you havent done diy before will easily rack up
things like washers nuts bolts and inserts

1 Like

I honestly prefer a lipo setup vs lion.
So its not budget for me to use a lipo its a choice.

3 Likes

A dual charger and some spares in your backpack can get you really far for cheap.

Do you prefer them cuz they light or other reasons?

Im not sure on weight, any battery pack can become heavy.
I like them for a few reasons:

• they are simple to use. (just be safe)
  • they have a ton of Amps. (just check your c-rating here)
  • they can be used with a BMS.
  • Pretty easy to see if a cell is damaged or puffing etc.
  • Replacement couldn’t be more simple.
  • hardly feel any voltage sag.

I like to have more amps then Im outputting. (head room)
So my Unity is maxed out but my batterys can push more.
This makes my batteries wear down nicely since Im never over pushing them.
Even if Im pinned, the battery is rated to push more than my Max.

So for me, a lion pack would need to be pretty large to allow for the headroom I would like.
12s4p is not enough imo, this may be due to how I ride.

• some are waterproof out the gate.
  • some are shock proof out the gate. (RC car tested for flips and crashes.)
5 Likes

Dam thats a lot of positives. Lithium ion does give more range tho. With all this info I wouldn’t see a reason to use lithium ion packs for emtb just kinda seems reductive… although for carvers and such I see a lithium ion pack being a better choice

1 Like

I think its preference to a extent.
I just find it more simple then spot welding a ton of cells.

Really if it gets you where you want to go. Its good in my book.

1 Like

Ya I honestly don’t have the time, motivation, balls, and skill to build packs.

3 Likes

You’ll get more cycles on liion

3 Likes