Breakfast Blend: LY DropCarve38 | BN M1 Gear Drives | FS 6374s | Xenith | 10s4p P42A

What a great thread. Quick question:

I see Fusion 360 but I’m wondering what another software you’re using for the electrical layout? Very handy to have components to scale and look like the real thing!

1 Like

Ah yes, I know the struggle :joy:. It would be a lot better it it had a percentage or directly the voltage. I also get some sagging so if you’re accelerating the measurement isnt even remotely precise

1 Like

Total overkill, but I’m using Fritzing.
It’s intended to help place components and route connections to build custom pcbs, but I’m using it as a glorified ‘paint’ program. The latest version requires a mandatory ‘donation’, but you can easily find the previous release for free download (legal).

1 Like

- PROBLEM - Riding in the dark is scary

Goals

• Increased safety - higher rider visibility
  • Increased safety / allow night riding - forward navigation lighting
  • System is easy to maintain - wirelessly update/develop (OTA updates)
  • System is water resistant - lights are IP rated, hardware is sealed, no need to open enclosure
  • Limit manual actions required - implement passively triggered ‘smart’ systems
  • No additional batteries (single charge port) - power from main battery
  • Ability to develop alternative lighting modes - utilize individually addressable LEDs

- SOLUTION - Develop front and rear smart LED strips

Parts List

Purpose Part Details
Microcontroller Arduino Nano 33 IoT $19.99, MicroCenter
Level Shifter TI SN74AHCT125 $1.50, Adafruit
LED Strip APA102 strip, 60 LED/m, IP67 in waterproof sleeve $10.85, AliExpress
Silicone Housing T1220 Flexible Silicone Gel Tube, IP67 $11.55, AliExpress
Power Supply 5V, 3.2A Step-Down Voltage Regulator D36V28F5 $11.95, Pololu
Ambient Light Sensor Photoresistor $0.01

Front truck test:

12 Likes

What a build you have here! So peculiar and unique. Tiny improvements and details everywhere. I applaud you!

1 Like

- PROBLEM - Catch all / finishing touches (ha)

- SOLUTION- Motor + Drive Covers

v1 modification of @poastoast 's BN M1 GD guards, printed in TPU
(extended length, cutout for forward facing motor cables)

Installed

After a quick 5mile cruise with the dog

v2 design update:

• Enlarged mounting holes to thru holes, so I don’t have to actually remove the gear drive fasteners to install these. I value the gear drives being fully assembled & loctited (and staying that way). I think its good design practice not to share fasteners between multiple parts, especially on wear items like guards.
  • Lengthened the motor section to cover the entire XX74 cans.
  • Adjusted the cable hole to for better fit, reinforced to hopefully preempt cable issues
  • Chopped some of the circumference off. I could be proven wrong, but I don’t think the boardside section of the motor part does much. This works better with my cable cutout.

BnS [L] - 74XL v2.stl (229.2 KB)
BnS [L] - 74XL v2.step (189.4 KB)
BnS [R] - 74XL v2.stl (229.4 KB)
BnS [R] - 74XL v2.step (189.0 KB)

v3a / v3b design update:

• A: Tried wrapping the forward face further along the motor can (unnecessary)
  • B: Extended the angled sweep deeper over the backside of the motor (additional protection)

v4 design update:

• I’m happy with the protection these provide, but I could not get them to sit well and stay put. I’m ready to admit that VHB tape and snug holes are not enough to keep these in place on long rides. After my last 20+ mi ride, they were still on, but not as securely as I’d like - there’s no replacement for mounting these with fasteners into the drive case.
  • All 3 mounting holes in the guards are now 4.5mm dia (standard M4 clearance hole)
  • I’ve replaced the stock M4 x 12mm L fasteners with 14mm L zinc coated alloy steel to account for the 2mm thick guards.

BnS [L] - 74XL v4.stl (253.8 KB)
BnS [R] - 74XL v4.stl (254.0 KB)

- SOLUTION- More robust charge port cover

v1 design draft

I keep stepping on my top mounting charge port cover and losing it on rides. Time for something a bit more snug.

v2 update (released)
*Adjusted the depths and diameters for a snug fit. Now, it works great! Borderline difficult to remove.

Charge Port Cover v2.stl (516.3 KB)

6 Likes

Hey there, I like your v2 improvement over the poastoast guards, they’re really pretty compared to the regular bash n splash guards.
I’m curious if you had any noticeable temperature changes with the guards installed? Any issues since you began riding them? Ever had a pebble or such get trapped between the cans and the guards?
Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I didn’t see this.

That’s really what’s important A E S T H E T I C

I didn’t have any data before I installed them, so unfortunately, I can’t give you a comparison / temp delta. I’ve ridden through mud, puddles, dirt, sand… no issues so far. The last iteration are pretty open - they’re only protected on the bottom half, and made of flexible TPU, so I wouldn’t worry about debris.

Here’s my last ride (10 minutes ago). Was trying to do a max range test, but the battery wasn’t quite fully charged and I tapped out at 13% remaining. It got a bit sketch in the dark. Still working on arduino controlled auto-on lighting.

58C (136F) max temp trying to push it pretty much the whole time. No hills in houston, so I made do with speed as much as I could.

4 Likes

Small update - swapped straight cut gears for helicals. Excited to take this thing for a test drive today.

Posted a gear removal guide:

Also finally moved the smart lighting system from breadboard to permanent wiring. (Difficult to see, but there’s an arduino nano, a buck converter, and a level shifter in this photo lol)

Don’t think my terrible wiring survived on the front hanger. Only getting power to one section. Soldering led strips is awful. Probably need smaller gauge wire too.

9 Likes

What a spectacular build! Mandy thanks to you for documenting and sharing your problems and solutions - a real credit to what I’m sure was many hours spent troubleshooting and evolving your build. I hope you keep it up and continue sharing.

1 Like