Braking strategy

Assuming no bindings, how fast do you want your board to stop from speed? 25 mph+ there is no realistic chance of running it out, unless you have world class speed. Thinking about it though do you want to keep your feet on the board as long as possible or is a step or two futilely trying to run it out while you decide what direction you want to roll in better?

2 Likes

I think the moment you loose normal force with the deck you just want to rag doll onto your back, personally I always run really high brakes and basically fall backwards to stop (counter the momentum of braking)

5 Likes

Don’t try to run it out.

6 Likes

I wear knee pads so I’d aim to land on them

Yes I wear them all the time, even for short trips.

I wanna keep my knees

8 Likes

I want maximum brake power, provided it does not make me lose traction and go into a drift. The goal should be to never put a foot down. And if you have to, to have slowed enough first to run out.

I have crashed from drifting in the wet when doing an emergency brake. Almost need a clean surface brake setting and a low traction setting.

5 Likes

I should learn from this…

On topic though, I stay on as long as possible, only times I’ve fallen (knock on wood) were from hitting something. This means instant 0mph and no chance to react. Somehow both times I ended up on my back even though I flew forward :rofl: But if it was speed wobbles then slow down and they should go away, or ride them til I die…

1 Like

I want to be able to lock up the wheels If needed.

Me too – but in wet conditions this is only acceptable on single-wheel drives. Dual drives fishtail when both wheels are locked on wet roads. The fishtailing causes street ingestion.

2 Likes

FTFY

1 Like

ehh, on single drive, locking up the wheel isn’t terrible. on single drive. if the drive wheel is in the rear.

When bailing above 10mph, you should be bailing on you hands and knees. This is why you wear slide gloves and knee pads- Slide out to a stop, hop back on and go.

With hip pads, fully armored jacket, high top shoes, knee pads, slide gloves and full face helmet, pretty much any way you fall is always better than trying to run.

On topic, Brakes that are good enough are good enough for me. Back when my board was geared for almost no torque and all speed, the brakes sucked but I could bail if needed, slide my board to a stop if needed, foot brake if needed, carve if needed, or carve, then foot brake, then slide my board and then bail on my hands and knees… getting comfortable at 50mph with no brakes to begin with helps inspire plenty of confidence with any amount of braking.

3 Likes

Then diagonal drive ftw, still have traction in the front and the back even if the motor wheels lock up

1 Like

Ugh. This is what happened to me. A couple local roads are on lockdown, and the city erected some traffic poles every few feet to divide lanes. I thought it would be fun to carve in between the poles, but I hugged them too tight and hit one of them directly. The board stopped instantly. I didn’t. Luckily I wasn’t going too fast, but I scraped both elbows, one knee, my side, and one palm.

Not making that mistake again.

3 Likes

Yo whats the Braking strategy at humble 21mph when your belts skip >.>
(Single drive)

I’ve resorted to footbrakein.
Does anyone have decent brakes with 15mm regular screw on pullies?
(single drive)

1 Like

Probably need to have perfect tension but I feel your pain. I had a belt brake at the top of a hill last week. Was way scary coming down compared to both belts. Probably good brake ramping, foot brake, a sprinkle of tuck and roll.

1 Like

go FF. Braking is way nicer that way.

2 Likes