Boundmotor Land Cruiser Deck Build!

I’ve just recieved my Boundmotor Land Cruiser deck from @Pecos. He gave me an awesome deal I couldn’t pass up and now I’ve started a build thread so ask me anything about measurements & fitment, etc about the deck and I will answer to the best of my abilities. I’ve noticed that Boundmotor really doesn’t have any specs for it so I’m hopinc I can provide it. Anyways I shall document my build process here!

7 Likes

So far I’ve just shoved all the parts in to see how it fits and I think it fits pretty good!

The only problem I’ve had so far is

1. I don’t have a 12mm switch so I can’t use the stock MakerX 16mm switch
  2. I absolutely despise DC Barrel jacks for charging so zi will be swapping it for some quality Weipu SA12 connectors.
  3. This deck is really built for a drop through design. Unfortunately the Boardnamics precision baseplate that I have does not fit through the hole so I’ll just mount it like normal.

Here are the dimensions for the drop through

3 Likes

Hit my first snag. Since the deck is 100% designed for drop through I can’t properly fit the cables through from the charge port/power switch to the deck enclosure.

I do have a sketchy solution of grinding part of the baseplate down (forgive me Boardnamics. The precision cnc baseplate is beautiful but I must get it to work)
But I will decide on this tomorrow. I’m waiting to purchase the Radium R6 trucks as I’ve grown really fond of them during my stay in Australia. I’m thinking of getting the R6 trucks and mount them dropthrough if possible or if not, the R6 trucks do have a nice little slot which’ll allow the cables to come through.

It’s 1am so I’ll hit the hay and continue tomorrow or whenever I have time. It is midterms season after all…

3 Likes

I’m not to sure how easy they are to source in Australia but I am sure Randall , Paris , Caliber etc base-plates would work . Even if you did grind down those BN adjustable plates it looks like you would have the bolt to contend with still .

1 Like

dremeling boardnamics parts down is my religion

4 Likes

i have a set that i won’t be using if you want to purchase them. was gonna put them on my Sidewinder build but i went 3links instead

they’re 10mm axles btw

3 Likes

thats a great looking board!

1 Like

I’ve done it. It’s not the prettiest, but it works. Make sure you check motor clearance, we did it on the Eovan deck and since it was designed for DKP, the clearance from the deck to the motors is very small, forcing the motor mounts (standard boardnamics) to be very close to the ground and scrape on everything. We still haven’t fixed this issue. You could get around it by using long mounts like the ones from Idea tho

1 Like

Yeah I do have caliber baseplates but I do like the baseplate angles I have right now of a split 30/60 and I intend to keep it that way. Besides, I just need to grind maybe a few mms away so I should be alright I think!

And I will be joining it very soon

Ah I’ll see if I can get mine directly from Radium as I’m seeing if I could get a 10-8 stepped axle or 8mm axles. However, there is another dude local to me in Korea who’s thinking of getting the r6 trucks. If he decides on the r6 I’ll give you a message and he can get it off of you!

Ahh alright. I am thinking of traditional mounting by cutting a little groove out for the cables to pass through. I’m still debating if it’s worth modifying it or just waiting for R6 trucks. I’m still too tired to fully build out the trucks 'n stuff but I’ll probs get the electronics done today.

2 Likes

Keep in mind these may not fit either, or may have hanger bite

1 Like

i do have someone else interested in them but i’ll let you know if i sell them

1 Like

Noted. I’ll see how it is for sure! I’ll update as I build it out. I’ve heard of wheel bite but what’s hanger bite?

Oh alright! Yeah I’ll let you know when the dude’s ready to buy and if it’s still there then awesome. If not awesome for the new owner hahah

1 Like

I’m just guessing that the super wide triangle bit on the hanger could clash with the deck on max turn. Just a suspicion tho

1 Like

Ahh so basically the same thing as wheel bite but for the hanger. I’m happy to fuck around and find out so we shall see lol

2 Likes

I have gotten the board functional!

To mount the power switch & antenna & charge port I just 3d printed something up and double side mounted it. Once I get the r6 trucks(I also decided to get the 6485 motors & sr125mm wheels) I’ll rebuild it and send some more pics.

I’ll post my thoughts on the deck below

3 Likes

Thoughts on the Boundmotor Land Cruiser deck

Pros -

• Pretty dang well built. There are some areas where the resin didn’t seem to flow as well or collected but nothing serious.
  • Nice compact deck where it fits a 12s4p perfectly and leaves good enough space for a DV6s or other dual VESCs, BMS and space to arrange wiring
  • Heatsink is massive. Thick and also has exposed fins to direct airflow. Would have no problem cooling VESCs
  • The cables can be very nearly organized. The integrated wiring hole is perfect to get wires into the enclosure and keep it neat
  • With this deck it’s pretty easy to get a super neat build
  • Personal preference but I do like how it is flat and has a ‘bone’ shape where it’s easy to hold the board sideways.

Cons -

• This deck is really designed for drop through DKP trucks or ones that’ll fit the hole. I didn’t end up using the charging dock + switch thing that it comes with as my trucks dont fit. It’s quite a shame as it would’ve made the build even cleaner.
  • The top plate of the enclosure is made of aluminium(I think) which is fine, but needing to unscrew 10 bolts with 2.5mm hex is not that fun.
  • The top plate doesn’t fit it perfectly. I noticed some damage to the bolts & plate after screwing & unscrewing a few times. Nothing major tho.
  • Drilling through the enclosure doesn’t seem to be an option as there is a gap between the inner & outer part of the enclosure. I was trying to see where I could add the antenna & charging port but was forced to mount it using the 3d printed part. This comes back to the part where this deck is really designed for drop through or trucks that can take advantage of the charging dock.
  • The integrated wiring hole fits my cables perfectly, but if you’re running thicker cables I’d be concerned if it’ll fit
  • The charging dock uses DC 5525 plug. It’s personal preference, but I really dislike these DC plugs. Especially if you’re planning on charging at higher currents (I believe the 5525 plugs are rated 5A) this plug really ain’t suitable.
  • The integrated battery meter seems to be always on. There is no way to turn the backlight off so while it’s resting or in a dark room it’ll be a light source. I doubt it consumes much power but if you plan to store it it’ll drain the battery. I wish they added an option to turn the display on & off, or maybe turn on when the vesc is on.
  • This is less about the deck but Boundmotor. I don’t know why there was barely any information on the website, and there doesn’t seem to be much if any content about this deck online. I hope this post will give people considering this deck some good information.

Overall, I love the deck & build. I really built it just to get some more test on why my board keeps cutting out and go on small rides. Once I get the Radium powertrain I’ll do another proper rebuild along with building a 12s4p p42a battery. If you have any questions about the deck do let me know!

What seals the lid? Is there a compressible strip on the u/s of the enclosure lid?

Yep! It seems to be a foam material instead of a rubber gasket. I think it’ll do ok against splashes and maybe puddles.