Boardnamics Precision 220mm Caliber II Hangers

One thing that worries me about these sort of adjustable baseplates is the lack of space inside the part the kingpin interfaces with.

My general rule of thumb is at least 0.5" of baseplate for the kingpin to interface with for a strong connection against the lateral forces constant turning puts on them.

Secondly, ideally our kingpins can interface with the baseplate from the head of the kingpin rather than the nut for a solid interface, not just the nut on threads.

Looking at your design and previous, Iā€™d personally sacrafice a number of Ā° to get that solid interface, say 15Ā° minimum instead of 0. This may not be popular for those using mountainboards and such, but for strength and reliability I think itā€™s a good trade-off.

With one bolt even, you could cut into the rear of the baseplate rocker to make room for the kingpin to interface directly inside the upper half.

I may throw together a design tonight to illustrate this point. Do you use fusion 360?

My undercaffinated brain is struggling to wrap my head around this without pictures, lol. I donā€™t see a nut on the kingpin, it looks like the kingpin bolt threads directly into the moving part of the baseplate. And a good bit of thread at that, maybe @Boardnamics can tell us exaclty how much thread, perhaps show the baseplate from the back side?

Quick update on the chubby T hangar: After rocking these for a while now, I canā€™t go back to the cast trucks I was using before. While probably adequate, the traditonal design is inferior for a number of reasons, another of which is that the outside bearing sits on the axle thread in some cases, a problem eliminated by the use of a shoulder bolt. Iā€™ll have pics later. TLDR: the old ones rattle

Iā€™m only happy when charging or discharging my board, lol

3 Likes

Iā€™m only interested in these if they bend like real calibers.

All kidding aside, this is much needed!

10 Likes

You will probably be very successful with this model of avoiding that. :+1: :smiley:

6 Likes

waitā€¦ iā€™ve never seen this beforeā€¦ how does that work? Are you even real?

8 Likes

I think I know what you mean. My design has the kingpin thread into what I call the Pivot part. It uses fine thread M10 x 1.25. The thread goes down 14mm deep into the part which provides a significant amount of strength.

There is a lot of thread engagement there. I can actually make it even deeper because the thinner part with the 5mm holes is 16mm wide.

I use Solidworks now (yay!) but also have Fusion 360.

As for any doubts about the one screw, it acts like a pin for holding the angle. The bolt would have to shear which calculated to take just over 2000lbs of force :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That seems sufficient, thanks for the clarification!

2 Likes

This will probably never shear, but can dig into aluminum due to vibrations.
I would add another bolt to alleviate rattling and wear.

Dani

2 Likes

I would maybe reccomend adding a 5 degree option on the adj. baseplateā€¦

Hm if you start pumping these out at a good price, Iā€™m worried Caliber will come calling. Maybe change the look a bit, change the title too?

I ask that you consider the pros and cons of going metric vs staying with established standards for kingpin (imperial, compatible with skate tools).

1 Like

Good note on bringing up metric vs imperial. The general consensus is that metric is better, we all know that. Standards however, are important. Performance wise, there is no affect. I suppose M10 is slightly stronger but itā€™s insignificant.

Iā€™ll change the thread to 3/8-24 to conform to the standards :slight_smile: Sorry @b264

2 Likes

Standards are good. Standards should be followed. The standard skate ā€œ8mmā€ axle is 5/16-24.

The only problem is when folks try to make ā€œnewā€ standards or new things that arenā€™t standardized yet, and they donā€™t use metric. Thatā€™s just silly.

6 Likes

I would be happier to stay metric as finding replacements where I am at would be really hard if not metric. In the USA itā€™s not an issue.

But I get why people want to stay with the standard.

1 Like
  • Go Metric
  • Go Imperial
  • Fuck Imperial that shit should burn

0 voters

1 Like

Cant believe that I have not seen this earlier!

As soon as I find how to fit an extra fesc inside my enclosure Im ordering one :smiley:

1 Like

Really looking forward to the hangers, with those the 3dservisas nano drives can use bigger motors without tinkering and they will sit 100% parallel without adjustments. Well done, I hope they will be steadily available in your shop soon.

2 Likes

Look, I LOVE metric. It makes so much more sense and is easier to work with butā€¦ I live in a place where they have decided to go against this. So until the country gets with the program, I prefer to be able to go to the hardware store to pick up replacements than ordering wvery metric tool and screw online. Home Depot has a full dedicated aisle of different types of imperial nuts, bolts, washers and fastners. In that aisle, they have like 3 drawers of metric under ā€œspecialtyā€. 75% of the time you go looking for something in metric, it will be the only size they dont have. So until there is a storefront that decides to supply metric, I prefer imperial partsā€¦ because I am impatient

I have good news. My manufacturer has confirmed theyā€™re making the adjustable baseplate sample. They will be sending them with the hangers which are scheduled to be shipped to me by this Friday. I will have them in my posession by the 15th.

This means I will have a complete set of trucks in a few weeks :smiley: Someoneā€™s really gotta test these

Additionally, I will be visiting Riptide Sports in Santa Barbara to work with the legend Brad Miller. The trucks will come with Riptide bushings and pivot cups. This should be good, super excited

24 Likes

This is a douchy argument for imperial. Puts your convenience ahead of anyone else. :slight_smile:

But like it or not established standards are standards, and deviating from them makes headaches for everyone in the long run. I happily use metric screws on motor mounts, etc and thank the heavens itā€™s not different on every motor.

Likewise Iā€™m happy that all my truck mounting screws ane 10-32 and kingpins are 3/8-24, etc, and I donā€™t need a bucket full of sockets to tighten screws on all the different boards I have.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t call it doucheyā€¦ more selfish maybe? Definitely not a good argument but honestly I just want to build man. I really really dont care what I use as long as itā€™s available to me now.
I KNOW metric is better but until the the assholes running retail decide to stock what I need, I will use what is most available to me.