Boardnamics Precision 220mm Caliber II Hangers

@akhlut? You has SR fixed axles?

Ya. 10mm though.

2 Likes

There will be in the future, but 7075 will drive the cost up at least 20% Worth it? With 10mm stepped axles, it may be totally unnecessary. Hexl bent at this length but the hanger has counter sinks and doesnā€™t have a gradual arch like caliber

3 Likes

Have you thought about just extending the caliber arch ( in a flatter curve) for a wider area of support? Might be just as effective as material change for the hanger

The current profile is an interpolation of the actual arch. It is only missing the slightest bit of material to complete the arch. Machining wise, it is much easier the way it is now. It is done with a custom chamfer bit that makes a single pass. Rounded surfaces are to be avoided.41HYejm9o3L.SX342

2 Likes

Iā€™d be willing to pay more. Just to have piece of mind. I will let the peeps with a more scientific/ concrete evidence give their opinions. Lol.

1 Like

Was thinking more like this.
Keep end length and width and sectional profile unchanged

2 Likes

Not gonna lie I would easily pay 30% more for 7075. But Iā€™m also snobby with materials.

4 Likes

That is an option for sure.
I have been told by @bwahl602 that the current arch can get in the way of drop throughs. The arch now is actually a bit wider than standard caliber. Can anyone else see this being an issue?

3 Likes

I could defiantly see this being an issue. Hard enough carve and your going over the board on to your face

whats the difference between 270 vs 220 with extra long steel axles?

270mm long hanger vs 220mm long hanger

6 Likes

is one of them more prone to bends?
If 220 + extended axles is cheaper and just as strong, why not go with that?

The axle nut to axle nut should be the same in the above example for people who want wider wheel spacing but not pay the extra price. (there other axis for wheelbase, idk the term)

People want the extra width. The wider the hanger, the higher chance it will bend. I am not convinced yet that 7075 material is necessary. Seeing as it would add probably 30% to the cost, itā€™s reasonable for me to be skeptical.

2 Likes

oh nvm. Youā€™re right
People need hanger width for their motor mounts to be close enough to the wheel pulley.

For front trucks maybe. if they donā€™t mind asymmetric trucks

Could always do a different shape though to also address that clash issue with drop through mounting as well. Itā€™s only the last part of the hanger that needs to remain at caliber hanger dimensions for mounts to fit. Could make it more slender near to the pivot (where itā€™s likely to clash in drop through) and then have a wider section through the middle of the hanger where there is more bending load.

3 Likes

30% for nearly double the tensile strength?..

I guess also consider, if you do go with 6061 and some end up bendingā€¦ Would you consider replacing them under warranty? If yes, money loss there. If no, people are going to get very skeptical of your stuff.

4 Likes

Not a bad idea honestly. Would add some style and shape to the truck as well

I think Id rather redesign the geometry before throwing a better material at the problem. For one, the axles are way way stronger on this wider truck. The hanger bending would truly be a rare event; only happening under horrible trashes that would break any other truck.

Seems unwise to charge everyone an extra 30% for the potential to survive rare horrific accidents.

5 Likes

Good call, a change in shape is only machining timeā€¦?