Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

Do we have a time for when these little screamers are getting loaded on the site tomorrow?

1 Like

When the clock strikes me

2 Likes

@Boardnamics tomorrow morning
HardHelplessBluefintuna-max-1mb

14 Likes

I was doing some helical gear calculations and it appears there will be no need for axial bearings. The axial loads will be well within what a standard radial ball bearing can handle. (10 percent of the dynamic radial load)

Also I don’t see how AC bearings would help because the thrust load reverses direction when you are braking. AC bearings only support axial load in a single direction. :thinking:

It is likely the helical version will be steel on steel as well, need to test the sound to see how quiet that is.

14 Likes

I was thinking it could not really be much more force that we put on the wheels during a hard turn or slide.

@Kaly’s robust bearings seem like a good solution if not too large.

2 Likes

A 190kv motor being fed 80a only generates 26lbs of thrust load with a 20 degree helix.

This is great and all but I’m still going to test of course. Expect to see some helical action in November

6 Likes

This is why we love you, Kevin.

5 Likes

This is one big rabbit hole to dive in, but yeah, if you manage to keep the helix angle as low as possible while still having overlap between teeth for quiet running, the bearings usually found on our motors should take the load without issue

5 Likes

It’s the 21st I am not seeing them yet??

1 Like

waiting
1 Like

No Soup for you…

2 Likes

Maybe the 22 for the EU guys :joy:

2 Likes

can you pick some lotto numbers for me? :rofl:

2 Likes

The AUS guys are nearly waking up on the 22nd! I think we have 4hrs 20m until there is no more morning of the 21st left in the world…

1 Like

I feel like Kevin is going to sell out of these right when they go live lmao

9 Likes

Wasn’t there a lot of data a while ago to show that POM gears were better choice for esk8 than metal ones?

Not knocking the BN metal drives obviously, and I have always really wanted metal gears. I’m just curious

POM teeth will yield if they get stuck which is not a difficult thing to fix since it will be the only damaged part, if you get stuck with steel teeth it might have enough inertia and torque to rip the gearbox open which is going to be expensive to repair since it could fuck up everything

Also steel on steel can create a fine metal dust that will act as an abrasive and wear down parts faster

On the other hand the steel will probably last forever, if you keep it maintained and don’t let anything lock up the wheels you should be able to run the wheel gear until the battery falls apart

3 Likes

These gears are a very different size than the other gear drives on the market, these teeth are much smaller, I don’t think it’s as comparable. I think properly sealed up and with the right engagement these will outlast the board.

3 Likes

Been refreshing the page every 5 mins today. Hopefully soon!

1 Like

same here and still no luck

1 Like