Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

i swear i’m luke thenonly one with a sound recording

22 Likes

Holy crap bro you aren’t messing around

Edit: and on urethane? Madman

2 Likes

I think you maybe need more grease

4 Likes

I think we got the same thing. Mine make a ear piercing screeching noise that will hurt your ears immediately. I got 400+ miles already and it was doing it with helical and straight cuts. After hundreds of miles of putting more grease or running with minimal grease or adjusting backlash it will never go away. I have a feeling that metal shavings got into the motor and thats what’s causing it but with opening the motor and cleaning everything Its still there. Just my best guess but not sure. We are both running flipsky motors :man_shrugging:

Do you have a video?

1 Like

Video does no justice on how ear piercing it really is

3 Likes

Does this happen under load or only on the bench?

3 Likes

Both, but alot less under load. With all the wind noise and cars you won’t hear it unless you go over 30mph

1 Like

Or running for thousands of miles without fail if you set them right. Ask me how I know…

3 Likes

Just like your “waterproofing” theories right Brian. :wink:

2 Likes

I think you’ve got more grease than you do gear drive, was it leaking grease goo when you closed the case :laughing: your drive gear might even be fanning grease into your motor screws lol
What I do is put two or three small dabs of grease on the wheel gear and spin it, than you’re good, just want to put enough to lightly coat the gears. Too much will make drag

1 Like

This is very important.

2 Likes

At least his drives will be silent since they’ll be running with an infinite supply of grease circulating :laughing:

4 Likes

And hot motors depending on the amount. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

we all have it on the M1s

new or old, it’s likely the interaction with metal on metal small tooth gears

other drives aren’t loud as they are bigger toothed and usually have one metal one POM

it’s like the boosted drivetrain system vs 5mm pitch belt systems

2 Likes

so you think if I run the straight cut and the helical at the same time it will crescendo to an earth-shattering degree?

6 Likes

You guys are making me worried, I don’t want ear-piercing M1 drives…
mine have roughly 200 miles on them and aren’t ear piercing… yet?
I run FS motors also.
That video is like nails on a chalkboard @Dizzie

2 Likes

Holy shit, your strait rolling. Monster balls!

Mine were like that out off the jump so you should be good. I took apart the gears and spun the motors alone and the sound was still there so it’s the motors. Almost confirms my guess that shavings got in the motor. Even with opening and cleaning it’s still there. Doesn’t affect preformance so I don’t worry about it, just annoying.

1 Like

How is it that loud? I have straight cuts and can’t even hear them past 20, 25. And what setup?

1 Like