Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

We used bearings with the axle nut to press it onto the hanger. You probably want to avoid using a hammer for that. it’s pretty much permanent once you get it on and it goes just to the edge of the big hole on the hanger.

4 Likes

Thank you. Got them on.

Like this?

1 Like

How tight is the fit of the bearing and truck adapter? I can’t get it on. It seems I need to hammer this too? *Update: spun it around then pushed with my hands. How far in does it go? Flush with the mount - no gap?

The other side went on much more easily. Is there supposed to be a gap like this?

The gap is approximately 1mm - m5 washer for scale. This is proper?

The motor pulley should be positioned flush with the drive gear. Am I supposed to use loctite or something on the motor pulley to keep it flush or it is allowed to slide like this?

1 Like

This is a bad choice. There i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶u̶g̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ most likely is a large difference between red threadlock compound and green retaining compound. I would recommend only using green for this.

The hub bolts are a known issue, had to grind down mine a bit too. Same with the hanger fitment, except it was way worse on mine since I have the oil slicks. Had to grind a bit off the hanger.

Don’t, if you have it cockeyed, it can ruin the gear teeth alignement. It should be pressed on smoothly. You can use spacers and the nut trick

Consider watching my assembly / teardown video and then report back with further questions :slight_smile:

absolutely not haha the drivetrain would shred itself if the pinion were moving around like that. You need green retaining compound

4 Likes

Is this okay for retaining compound?

3 Likes

I’m not super familiar with all of the different loctite versions but that looks right

I’ve heard 648 also, not sure what the difference is

2 Likes

You can get it a bit cheaper on eBay if budget is a concern. Think I paid like $10 shipped for my 10ml or 15ml bottle that is more than you’ll ever need.

1 Like

Are you referring to just the drive gear or the truck mount too?

I slightly over filed one truck and it could slide on easily by hand. The other needed a hard push (just right) so I put super glue on the axle then pushed the truck mount all the way in and hammered it a little more. It aligns correctly with the larger hole so it’s okay?

One drive gear is easy to get on by hand, the other is really hard. I put 3d printer machine oil around the bearing. I think it might have helped? I put them on and off 2 or 3 times. One is clearly easier than the other. Though to get it off using two screw drivers like you did in the video was essential, even then is it very difficult to get it off with the harder drive gear. I tried switching sides and this one of two drive gears is still hard.

Loctite 638 is meant for parts with clearances between 0.002" to 0.010" radial. Loctite 680 is meant for parts with clearances up to 0.008". In other words, use 638 for pinions that readily slip onto a motor shaft and use the 680 compound for those that are either a light press fit or slightly looser.

Loctite 638 is a high strength, high viscosity adhesive to be used on applications with larger gaps approaching 0.25 mm. Loctite 648 is a high-strength, low viscosity retaining adhesive that is most suitable for applications with smaller gaps up to 0.15 mm.

638 or 648 will be fine, but I’m sure somebody with good build history has mentioned what they used, I’d just grab that in the cheapest form you can find on eBay/Amazon. Amazon is always a bit more expensive for Loctite stuff.

4 Likes

Budget is definitely a concern thanks, but loctite 648 for example is more expensive on eBay after shipping. I’m Canadian.

Hopefully it will be fine, it’s just important that the mount plate is 90 degrees to the truck.

Yeah I experienced that too, I had to lightly sand the mounting adapter a bit.

I also found this to be the case even when it fits properly. It’s just how the tolerance worked out for me

Only thing I could come up with is that the hanger expanded the adapter on mine, it was annoying. I haven’t had to mess with it at all since I got it mounted though.

1 Like

Super useful information, thanks

1 Like

648 is king :crown:

I may have spent some time reason the TDS on loctite’s website. It’s the strongest of all the retaining compounds (barely)

6 Likes

What grit sand paper did you use? Basically I’ve never done any handywork in my life. I just got my first set of different grit sandpaper in my life, I have a bunch of different numbers. Is there a specific technique to sand the cylindrical shape? Thanks for your patience.

I think I’ll order loctite 648 then. Is there only one loctite 648 or are there different flavors so to speak?

1 Like

Sure, I think I used like 200 or something like that. You can wrap it part way around the round part and kind of pull up to each side… Kinda confusing to try and explain honestly.

Here, try this.

That webpage is kinda messed up on my side but you probably get the point from the thumbnail

1 Like

Yeah it’s messed up but I get it from the thumbnail. That’s how I wipe my backside with my towel after a shower. Do you need a special type of sandpaper for this metal as opposed to other surfaces like wood and plastic? Or any 200 grit sand paper works? I just have some bundle of numbers from Amazon - I don’t know if it’s material specific.

Any 200 works. It’s a super close fit.
It really is a lottery as to whether or not these drives will assembly flawlessly or with a little trouble.

I can loosen the tolerances a bit next batch. It’s hard to get them perfect when:

I have little control over the actual manufacturing
I have no control nor information about other vendors products tolerances

6 Likes