Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

This is what I’m after!

It looks amazing.

2 Likes

I have this same sound with my angle adjustable baseplates too. Also the new version.

1 Like

He has his github linked here which should have stl.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the link.

3 Likes

That’s correct. 6355 on 220mm hangers have no issues with baseplates.

7 Likes

of course of course! Btw, if you check on th GH, there’s a newer version that was released a lil bit ago :wink:

more ground clearance and some other strengthening

4 Likes

Hey we’re buddies, ly evo with m1s :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll be joining you guys once my battery order comes in. :grin:

3 Likes

On Paris 50 trucks.

The adjustable baseplate adds 16mm of height.

5 Likes

So.

Anyone here take their straight M1 and put in the helical upgrade?

Did it make it sound different?

I’m specifically wondering about the sort of “rattle” that goes on during free roll.

Is that the same with the Helical pinions?

Any difference in the installation?

Kevin @Boardnamics what is different in the installation?
Are there instructions somewhere?

2 Likes

I think helical upgrade is straight forward as far as installation goes,sound does change especially with grease added,i dont own my set just yet but free roll should be more or less the same but varies depending on ur motor bearing conditions, wheel size, dry weight of the board and wheel bearings.

1 Like

I’ve got a set of helicals, but I’m not in a big rush to install them on my M1 GDs.
Installation is exactly the same.

In general, on helical gears the teeth engage gradually i.e. a smoother transition from tooth to tooth, as the contact line is spread further.
This smooth operation means lower noise vs straight cut spur gears when under power, but you’re still going to have backlash with any set of gears. Backlash being that play/clearance between the two gears. You cannot remove backlash without going to high precision parts or additional mechanical complexity.

That ‘rattle’ might dissipate a little sooner, but I don’t think it’ll disappear just with helical gears.

3 Likes

Helical install was quick and easy. Same as straight gears. Sound profile is different moreso at the slower speeds. Nice and screamy still upon acceleration or high speed (which I like). The rattling noise (gear lash) is still there but I do feel that itis less than straight cut which makes sense as the whole idea of helicals gears is progressive tooth engagement.

3 Likes

I’ve done this swap, the biggest change was the helicals lowered the super high pitched whine I was getting with straight cut at a certain speed under load just a little bit. Or at least that’s what I think, I could have just set the backlash wrong on either one.

1 Like

I have both, the helicals do not have that rattle sound and they are smoother sounding and feeling for sure, they also do not make the loud sound, the gears are drop in ready. Everything is exactly the same set for backlash.

1 Like

@gordo @realistic69 @Paul77

hey guys.
I appreciate the feedback.
I ordered the Helical Pinions and will be using them when I slap this thing back together.

definitely sounds like it will do away with some of that noise that was bothering me.

1 Like

To make a virtually silent gear drive would require almost a complete redesign. The helical implementation was an attempt to lower the sound. They’re still pretty loud for several reasons:

The teeth are not ground. They’re commercially hobbed. Not that smooth. This is why the sound decreases after some use. They must break in.

The gearbox is not very rigid. Not made to nearly the precision of your average car transmission w/ ground gears and steel shafts.

There are a ton of size/cost limitations that make producing an ESK8 silent steel gear drive difficult. Increasing the helix angle would certainly cut noise but our motors aren’t designed for this. The best approach for our application is a POM wheel gear. The M1 drive wasn’t designed to be super quiet anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

Moving forward, I think I will do 2.20 ratio straight cut only and 2.78 helical only.

21 Likes

God I love how honest and straight to the point you are. Other brands wouldn’t have admitted this

Or this if they were selling only steel gears

I appreciate you giving my bullshit sensors a break for once

19 Likes

1 Like

Are you getting the 2.78 helical ratio?

1 Like