Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Trying to install new motors. How do people usually get this thing off? Fuckton of heat? It came from Kevin pre-assembled so I’m not sure how he secured it…

I think the standard is green loctite so you just don’t remove it :grin:

Blowtorch for a minute and then try to work a screwdriver under it and start to pry. A bearing/gear puller also works but you need space to fit it.

All if the green loctites are removable.

2 Likes

But muh new Reachers :pleading_face:

1 Like

Sheeeeeeeeesh, dab torch did the trick… Got it

3 Likes

What do you guys recommend I use to secure the pinion to the new motor shaft? It’s a super tight tolerance… I have some 638 but am worried it may be too thick

638 is the thing to use for sure

1 Like

Anyone have tips for making sure it costs the shaft properly? It’s such a tight fit I’m worried the glue can’t get in there

I just coat some onto both.

1 Like

I dripped it all around the shaft and the inside of the pinion then slid it on. A bunch was definitely pushed out… think it should be good?

1 Like

Yeah usually how it goes, did you put in the key? From the picture it looks like it’s missing? If you’re super concerned you can also rough up the motor shaft for more texture and better adhesion

This is going to sound stupid but what is the key? I knew I was missing something here.

I’m assuming it’s something to do with this gap

My last motors had a little nub built into the shaft… does that mean I’m missing the piece that I need? :pleading_face::sob:

2 Likes

Yes there’s a metal bar or “key” that goes in there to keep the motor pinion locked onto the motor shaft.

I recommend immediately pulling off the motor pinion before that 638 sets and starts to become tacky

2 Likes

It’s fairly cheap to get or cheap to make. I think torqueboards Carrie’s some if you want to just buy it.

1 Like

Thanks for this. It had already started to set but a couple seconds with the torch freed it up.

Regarding the shim I need – what’s it called on the torque boards site? Is it universal?

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty universal I think you’ll find it searching for “motor key”

Did you not have one in the drive that Kevin assembled for you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

My last motors had it built into the shaft by the looks of it