Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Anyone know what length screws are needed for newbee hubs with M1-AT? Picture is with 50mm - only about 5mm extra screw exposed. How much extra screw length is ideal?

@jack.luis you have them right?

4 Likes

It really depends on what you put between the hubs and drives.
For 2-3mm of spacers it works fine, otherwise you’d need longer screws.

2 Likes

the new gen hubs are wider. On ours we use 45mm screws, but these are looking like you need m4x55

2 Likes

The first gen 8-9 inch ones needed exactly 40mm ones

2 Likes

@Ean.esk8 included 50mm screws, and it looks like they might work if the drive adapter and the hub are basically touching.

I only received 16 of the 50mm screws for 5 wheels though… :confused:

Edit: I’m an idiot. I only need 15 long screws for 2 drive wheels and a spare. Worth asking for more screws if you want 4wd

2 Likes

so you ordeeed em :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

4 Likes

Yup - I’m joining you on #teamstraightcuts

1 Like

RrrRrtrRrRrREeReeEeEeEEeEeeEeeEeEeeEe

1 Like

the subtitles for every gear shift killed me

1 Like

@Boardnamics Does the M1-AT play nice with the circlip on torqueboard motors?

I had to file down my BN-XL mounts so that the circlip didn’t touch the plate while spinning. Curious if it’s the same deal with the M1-AT plate?

1aad72948365c14c3bce05d785200b20732730b9_2_375x500
39870bf5eb746c2805402253ef61f4a3c5f1ae4f_2_375x500
photo above courtesy of @glyphiks

The TB motors i have here, the circlip isn’t proud of the mounting face, but if it was, you’d def need to ream the mounting plate.

Its not a deal breaker for me, but it is a slight pain in the ass. Especially when you forget to ream the plate.

1 Like

No, this was only a problem on that generation of mounts specifically. A design error.

2 Likes

Sweet - I’m trying to decide between running the stock maytechs on the lacroix, or putting some tb6380s on there. Pretty happy with the maytechs TBH, quiet, good free roll.

Can you give eta to the following order:

[Order #4381] (July 29, 2022)

Product Quantity Price
HTD-5M Skateboard Timing Belt - 315mm 2 $9.98
Subtotal: $9.98
Shipping: $8.80 via USPS (2-3 days)
Payment method: Pay
Total: $18.78 USD

Your site say “everything in stock 2-3 day lead time.” It’s seems much longer for something going to Northern Cal.

2 Likes

Was always curious as to why the screws dont bolt through the plate and into something thats threaded, maybe someone can elaborate on that engineering decision. Im a huge fan of the geardrive and think its beautiful for the price, especially with the full metal system but this was the only gripe I have with it. Coming from etoxx gear drives, I dont like the fact that with this, my axle nut is the only thing holding the screws into place, especially on my mbs trucks which are short. Im not an engineer by any means but I do alot of offroading and prefer everything bolted, locktited and secured. Overall though I love the system and the sound of the full metal. On a sidenote, I was worried that I messed up on the backlash when setting up the system. I hope im not crunching them too hard. Is there a specific way to find the perfect length in-between gears to get it perfect?. Some type of indicator?

3 Likes

Zero failures from this so far - I wouldnt worry about it. If you really want to feel secure, JB weld the adapter onto the truck hanger.

6 Likes

I’m kind of confused what your gripe is, but I assure you, I’ve been running them almost 600 miles and never had an issue to speak of besides normal maintenance kind of stuff (and one time a gear came loose but I re-loctited it and it’s fine now)

As for the axle nut holding on the drive, it’s the best on precision trucks, I can understand why it would be more annoying on matrix 2 with their non-precision fit lol

Generally one sheet of paper is about the right width. Another way is to visually inspect it, the teeth should touch right at the corner of the involute curve

5 Likes

Sweet thanks!. I guess im just used to a more threaded system is all. It seemed weird to me just seeing the screws go through the plate with no threads and being held on by the axle nut solely after you just pop the tire on. Again im not an engineer so I dont know the difference between support/stress from certain designs so I cant state exactly what I feel is off other than something inside of me feeling so. I also have come from etoxx, kaly, berg gear drives and they all were different than this so maybe its just a bit foreign to me in design is all. I love them though and Kevin (boardnamics) was great with fast delivery and excellent customer service with anything I needed. He sent me a different spacer by accident and within a day he got the right one to me. Amazing service and excited to see whats next from BN.

3 Likes

It is a unique design for sure, but allows for quick swapping of wheels. It is a part that wears a little more than I’d like, but if he ever releases a v2 it’ll probably change a bit

3 Likes

i wish shipping to canada was so easy lol

kevin is a kindly man

3 Likes