Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Thanks man! Yep, Boardnamics 270mm trucks. Going to switch to these Luna 350s though, I was getting some wheelbite with the BN270s. Just waiting on truck adapters.

I move my feet way too much to feel comfortable with bindings. I think I’d only want bindings on a jumper style board, and even then I think I’d rather use sky hooks.

5 Likes

very sexy design

Hey kids.

I have had my AT gears for several months now.

They seem to run fine.
But I have this weird annoying clicking sound.

Does anyone have that?

It is not the chatter I am talking about.
That I am ok with.

My theory is that it is the bolts from the wheel hubs interacting with the adapter.

Does anyone else have this happening?

And more importantly has anyone found a magical fix?

I have opened it up and reassembled and it is still there.

2 Likes

Mine don’t sound like that at all. Very strange

1 Like

New theory.

Maybe a bearing on the gears…

Clicking is there without the hub…

4 Likes

Click click

1 Like

I checked wheel bearings. Couldn’t find the click. Gave up.
On straight cut street drives.

2 Likes

Remove the cover and spur gear. Spin the motor by hand without the gear and see if the sound persists. Then put the gear back and spin it without the cover on.

2 Likes

I really feel like I am especially good at breaking shit…

3 Likes

Thats some snazzy glitter you got there.

2 Likes

I just snorted some of it and I am flying sky high…

7 Likes

Really inspect those teeth really well. I had a similar sound issue and turned out to be a 1-2 malformed teeth on just one side of the tooth which explains why the sound only happens when spun one way.

Your pinion breaking free could have caused a deformation, but it maybe fine too. A proper sized file can fix the malformed teeth

@rosco this could pretain to your clicking too

Also, personally if i ran helicals, I would delete the circlip and use the exact length spacers from motor bearing to pinion. That would relieve the sideload stress on pinion loctite and take away the possibility of a circlip jumping out.

3 Likes

Well dude.
At a glance the teeth look fine.

It’s quite impressive you can’t even tell which half of the pinion chewed through the case.

And really clever idea with the spacers.

What are the chances I have them…

2 Likes

If it’s a 8mm shaft you can use speed rings

2 Likes

Can’t take the credit for the idea, just remember @Venom121212 having this issue and rectifying it in that manner.

2 Likes

For helical gears, doesn’t it only work on the one side since the other pinion is pushed away from the motor?

3 Likes

Possibly, my brain hurts think of it though so I’ll let others chime in

1 Like

I will certainly make an attempt to do it on this side.
I can’t see where it could hurt…

Try to use steel spacers, aluminum might get squooshed out (if you are using speed rings)

1 Like

Yes. This is why I don’t run my moon helicals anymore. Since they weren’t mirrored, one was held on with loctite only while the other had washer shim backups. Braking switches the lateral forces of course.

Ideal solution would be a bespoke spacer made out of one piece but washer stacking works until you break your loctite. Then the can and shaft separate and it can cause a magnet misalignment which is negative fun.

Still curious how my circlip jumped to that side of the shaft :thinking:

5 Likes