Board turns off at 30% to 50% (tynee mini 3)

Got my first eskate, a tynee mini 3, and it has been a lot of fun riding it. Recently, I’ve been running into an issue where the board turns off when it reaches around 50% but the problem started when it first turned off at around 30% and it only turns on as soon as I charge it. The battery is a 13S2P with Samsung 30Q cells. I checked the battery’s voltage when it turns off and it was at around 39V. I contacted customer support and they were nice enough to offer me a molicel battery for an amazing price. I was just wondering if I could get some insight to what’s going on and what I could possibly do with it. Feel free to ask any questions!

1 Like

When fully charged the voltage sits at around 53V to 54V but it drops fast, around 90% charge it drops to 50V. Eventually it turns off at around 39V. I haven’t done a lot of testing tho this is as far as I know.

39V is probably the cutoff for the BMS (3v/cell). The battery percentage reader sounds like it’s not accurate. Full charge should be around 54V, 90% would be around 53V~. If they’re offering a P42A replacement I’d take them up on it.

Sounds like the battery could be unbalanced.

This could be an indication of a large safety issue.

But, without knowing a lot more information, it’s hard to say.

I would be suspicious of this battery being dangerous and wouldn’t use it or charge it.

OP only said “molicel”, they didn’t say P42A.

1 Like

Can you get to the bms ’ balance lead connector disconnect it, and carefully probe each cell group?

I’d guess 12 p groups will be similar and one far lower. with either failed welds or a failed cell within.

I ordered a 35$ non operational parts only 7s1p junk board. It would turn on, but cut out soon as throttle was pressed.

6 cells were 4.02v, one was 0.24v.

The 6 cells are my first spot welded battery packs, two 3s1p 11.1v nominal batteries i use for pocketable fans, Leds, or USB power source.

Their bms is not a balancing one.

The 2000mah 10amp BFN cells do drift apart after a dozen cycles, how much depends on how fast I drain and charge them, with speed causing more imbalance faster.

I inject 4.2v on the lower cells and monitor amperage acceptance via a JST connector to balance.

I’d like to emphasise “carefully”

It’s really, really easy to accidentally make a huge spark doing this.

1 Like

You should not charge cells that ever went under under 2.5V, they are trash.

1 Like

I know, that’s why I said P42A because if it’s something different I’d probably reconsider

1 Like

Not just trash, but also a potential fire hazard if charged up.