BN gear drive angle on hummie deck.

I heard someone say that the hangar adapter for gear dive is directional and only goes on one way. I have put the drives on every which way, and the only angle that works, is with the motors hanging low. Are the adapters really directional? I also have BN adjustable baseplates, so have some leeway there as well. What is the best angle achieved? I also tried having motors facing forwards and no go. I am using 6.5 inch meepos. Any pics showing the best angle achieved would be greatly appreciated.

BN gear drives, BN hangars 270, adjustable baseplates, hummie deck.

1 Like

Having some photos of your setup would be helpful.

1 Like

As is shown, the baseplate doesn’t allow the motors to be rotated up much. I saw this condition, and thought I MUST have mounted the trucks backwards, but no, if mounted to gain room, the turn was inverted. If I NEVER ran over anything, as it is it would work. but it seems dangerous.

It would be even worse, if I hadn’t spaced out the gear drives from the hangar.

What angle is your rear truck set to?

I think they are 50 front, thirty rear. But you tell me which way to rotate to gain room. I will live with it. Unless people think that a half inch clearance for motor is enough. Rotating the gear drive up also runs into the hangar as well. Maybe fashion a scratch pad mounted under, to protect gear drive and motors? The motors are about same as the lowest part of gear drive.

1 Like

What is the primary clearance issue? Are the motors hitting the baseplate or the deck itself?

I’d try increasing the rear truck angle to 35-40’ and see if that buys you some additional clearance.

1 Like

WEll, the primary issue is that the motors hit the baseplate mounting hardware. BUT, I could countersink that, and then hit the hangar. I guess what I really need to know is, if a half inchish of clearance on ground and motor is too little. As I said, the gear drives themselves hang low, and have about the same. Most boards have the motors stinkbug upwards.

I think your issue here is that you’re trying to run BN drives drop through. I severely doubt you can make this work without destroying your motors because of your ground clearance.
You’ll likely have to end up top mounting, or ditching the BN drives and running belts.

1 Like

If I could get just half the rotation of getting to the next hole, I would be alright. Maybe some custom shifted hole pattern on the hangar adapters? So the consensus is, that half inch is not enough clearance? Is a half inch clearance way too little? Just mounting the trucks top mount, would not do it. The relationship of the baseplate doesnt change. Perhaps going to 7 inch tires might do it?

I just measured, and I have a full inch clearance. I think that may JUST be enough. Tires are not pumped up yet, but I dont think that will change profile much.

Fucking lucky you, @BillGordon look at this guy showing off

Jokes aside, 1" is about the minimum clearance I shoot for. 30mm is better and 40 is even better. Any lower than an inch and motors really wont last long

1 Like

I rotated the baseplate, and gained another quarter inch. So, the motors are not the lowest point anymore. I have about 1inch plus .200. Just enough. My board is ultra, as I can ride it upside down.

You’d have issues with motor bite then i reckon

1 Like

You spun the whole truck backwards?

1 Like

No, adjustable baseplate. Changed angle. I tried rotating whole truck 180, the board turned opposite. No go.

1 Like