BLDC VS FOC, a discussion

What about starting on steep hills?

What about it? I use BLDC every day. You learn to become one with the machine and you figure out how to ride it with a bit of practice. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

For me it’s because I like the bldc sound, and I can’t be bothered to look into how to set up foc and potentially blow my focboxes.

3 Likes

I would love to see you do that on a proper incline in bindings

1 Like

I did that a couple times and promptly switched everything back to BLDC. The novelty of no noise wears off fast, then FOC mode is annoying to me. And the quietness gets annoying to me quickly as well.

I started to see the light as well and started building everything sensorless. One more place shit can break.

That goes for BLDC or FOC

3 Likes

In your circumstance how does the 30khz affect the riding experience?

I haven’t used BLDC for like a year until yesterday, I rode for a little bit testing it out, and it did seem BLDC was a little bit more twitchy than my FOC setup

1 Like

I think the mushiness of FOC is one of the many things I don’t like about it. I want to feel like my throttle trigger is a stick of dynamite, not a gummi bear.

8 Likes

Ahh, I forgot you use 10s :grin:

9 Likes

This is interesting because I’ve had the same revelation with sensors. I’ve replaced the sensors in my motors 3 times now. One is still going strong but the other keeps breaking after a few rides. I didnt know you could go with sensorless FOC.

1 Like

HAH fair enough.

For me, I broke part of my gt2b and lost the original throttle spring, causing me to switch to the one that used to be on the wheel, which was consequently quite a bit lighter. My throttle is about half the resistance of a normal gt2b throttle, so that is part of it for me, especially on the transition from accelerating to braking.

I think I’ll have to try this when I switch back to FOC, I think I get what Brian is saying about the mushiness but it isn’t as bad on my 12s

Yah the BLDC noise is a great indicator for how fast you are going, I use it almost as a speedometer even though I’m pretty good ad judging speed with my eyes.

And since I ride direct drives that are very quiet when under little to no power a lot of the time it’s nice to be able to hear something scream when I punch the throttle. Bonus points if it’s under a bridge. I do see the potential for a sleeper board with FOC. I might have to do something with that idea someday.

2 Likes

I still also like the noise and reliability of BLDC but I will definitely try changing the frequency.

1 Like

If you lower the throttle ramp up time you get the crispness back.
@rich 's video is all one needs to see.

2 Likes

All I hear is gear noise. :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah I get what you’re saying. I am going to try both and see what I like better.

The reality for me is that FOC is discreet and BLDC lets people know your’re there. Especially at low speed

2 Likes

You hear FOC at high speeds as a snorring cat and at low speeds nothing like when a cat sneaks around.

3 Likes

Lol, there are F1 tracks that would envy that tarmac :astonished:

7 Likes

Must be a new neighborhood lol

3 Likes