Bindings for a street build - Good idea or Bad idea?

Here are what I think to be the pros and cons of using bindings on a primarily street build.

Pros:

• Better turning
  • Bumps won’t knock you off
  • Makes taking high acceleration easier

Cons:

• If you fall at speed, apparently death is the only option
  • I’d have to drill holes for the bindings myself most likely

I also read somewhere on here that bindings are a must for turning on wide trucks - is that true?

Any input appreciated!

4 Likes

Look on the market, kaly, lacroix etc don’t use bindings.
If you think you need bindings for only street riding than get something open binding.

Disclaimer: not my picture

7 Likes

I personally can’t see any benefits of bindings for street setup… It just adds weight and size.

You just loose a possibility of push and go, the thing I do almost all the time in a places where you have to wait or get of the board a lot.

For a city riding, if distance is not an issue, I would alway choose the smallest and lightest solution possible.

3 Likes

Solution: softer bushings or TKP trucks

And to solve these you just need a deck with good concave / foot pedals so that you can regain your placement without looking.

2 Likes

:arrow_up: so much this

4 Likes

Respectfully disagree. M board is huge and heavy and she’s a Roadmaster. I commute 5.5 miles one way and I cruise at 30mph the whole way. The mass gives stability all on its one.

I did try bindings on road and disliked it. There’s no real advantage and the thought of falling with them on terrifies me

4 Likes

Bro same especially if one leg manages to come out, this is why snowboard bindings have so much design work that does into them

Some of the Stooge Raceboards use a single binding for the front leg, although “track” is not the same as “street”.

5 Likes

So then we should put fiberglass on the bottom of a snowboard and add some trucks and a motor and a battery?

3 Likes

Do the inverse of a summer board - put tiny snowmobile tracks on casters.

2 Likes

You might call that a winter board

1 Like

There’s your million dollar esk8 business idea.

2 Likes

No esk8 idea is a million bucks, the market is too small.

Sure is a damn good time though :crazy_face:

4 Likes

two snowmobile tracks on casters for a monster snow drift board.

act now. while supplies last. restrictions may apply. may not be legal in all areas. my cause death and dismemberment.

4 Likes

absolutely agree on all points.

3 Likes

4 Likes

get out of my notes

2 Likes

Half bindings like yobiz and freeboard are nice for a combo of street riding and offroad. Most of the benefits of bindings (except jumping); while not being strapped to the board by your feet on roads where that might not be ideal.

I really like my half bindings since I do mainly ride on paved roads among foot traffic and automobiles. When I leave the road for greener pastures I’m not going to be bounced or vibrated off the board. The hard points to brace your foot against for accel and decel are nice too.

I’m not staying you can jump with half bindings especially on a heavy board, but little hops are doable lol.

4 Likes

much more useful on a flatter deck where you don’t have a drop to lock into.

3 Likes

I can brace my back foot on my trampa around the Lacroix logo sticker. But the front kept bouncing my foot off on curbs and small bumps. Plus it helps when I give it too much throttle for my body to follow.
But it’s permanently loose. Not a real binding feel, just a better grasp of the front end

3 Likes