Bigger motor, same gearing and kv, lower top speed?

I’ll be curious to see what the others hit at, looks like they might be closer to the 190 mark given how they preform on the top end.

1 Like

So here is the same gear box, same stated kV, same everything except the smaller motors 6355’s & my battery is fully charged instead of half way. Big difference, also unloaded.

2 Likes

2 Likes

So the 6355’s are 180kv at a full charge and the 6380’s are 147 also if I did the same math at full charge. My mystery has been solved. @Venom121212 and everyone else who chimed in, thanks!!

2 Likes

Do you notice a decent torque difference between setups?

Since you noticed the speed drop, hopefully you notice more torque as well.

4 Likes

That’s the part that got me, I noticed no tourque difference even when it came to the biggest hill I climb around here. Maybe it’s in my head but I think the smaller ones were the same as the larger ones.

Maybe the 6380 that I have just suck, IDK

3 Likes

Just an update, I bought a brand new set of TB 6380, I figured new batch different result. I highly doubt anyone that has TB6380’s are really getting the right 190kv, they are hitting right at 145kv on full charge 12s. Sketchy sketch if you ask me.

4 Likes

I wonder how running it with belts/gears/etc attached vs detached affects it. Which did you try?

2 Likes

The torque boards 6380s used to be 170 kv maybe they decided they’d sell more if they just slapped a 190 on it instead. Idk it sounds kinda dumb but at the same time they’re very low for being advertised as 190 kv.

3 Likes

Well that dosnt sound dumb, it sounds dumb I bought 2 sets and they are still the same

2 Likes

I did all mine attached to BN gears, strait and helicals same result

3 Likes

Just for shits, run it unloaded if you can. I wonder how that will affect the measured kv

2 Likes

Swapping some gears out soon hopefully, I’ll try it and see if I get the same result.

2 Likes

The new 6380’s have an even lower top end than the old ones lol, can’t win!! Flipsky here I come.

3 Likes

@Venom121212 i found when calc ERPM it should just be motor no attachments on, i also read about a spot in vesc that effects the erpm but it doesn’t really explain what’s it does “Cycle Integrator Limit”

Can anyone explain this setting and what it does?

1 Like

I’ve got no clue on that one man, sorry. Makes sense to calculate it on the unloaded motor though. I need to know!

3 Likes

So did you try Flipsky? TB should accept refunds when out of the tolerance levels stated? Is there any way to tell the companies your order from to make sure the test and let you know what the tested kv was at before sending? BC its all BS. We buy bigger motors w/ more kv bc we want more top end but if they don’t match or are way off the tolerances that we can get the literal opposite of more top speed!!! Does that piss anyone else off. Its outrageous. We need to make a stand Lol

1 Like

afaik, generally with quality motors (reacher/flipsky) I don’t believe this is a super common issue