Best water "proofing" techniques?

Oh sorry, I was under the assumption it was raining. I’m in the bay area, ca so rain is like an urban myth. If it’s raining, I’m assuming your remote will be out too but if you’re talking like huge fun puddles, then idk. I don’t trust puddles because you don’t know how deep they can go. Stepped in one one time a fucking Jeff Wu whacked my foot with a slipper

3 Likes

But most important 2 things:

1. Always assume you’re not fully sealed.

Something can go wrong at any point and just because you’re confident in your technique doesn’t mean you can easily rule out that water didn’t get inside your system.

1. Be absolutely certain you have everything completed and tested before you seal things up.

Especially with silicone. It’s a hassle to deal with. Don’t be that guy that has to re-apply everything because you forgot to pair up your metr pro and now you need the fucking pin. So you have to remove all the enclosure bolts, scrape out all the silicone and do it all fucking over again

6 Likes

Your best approach is a multi-faceted approach.

First, try to keep water out. Many of the things already mentioned can help. Keep it out for as long as possible. But eventually water WILL get inside, especially on a Vanguard deck.

So the next approach is to cover all your electronics and wiring (including motor sensor assemblies if you have the sensor cable plugged into the ESC, but not including motor phase wires) with acrylic like MG Chemicals 419D for example.

Then fill the whole inside of your enclosure with neutral-cure silicone like GE Silicone 2*

Make sure that you could in theory dump a glass of brine inside the enclosure and it would theoretically still work. (but don’t actually do that)

10 Likes

Is this a spray? What does it do?

1 Like

Haha yeah. Thanks

2 Likes

No, it’s this stuff

similar to this

It simply displaces water and air and denies entry to contaminants

11 Likes

Ohhhhhh ok, how much weight does it add? Probably not alot

1 Like

Jesus… is a good gasket and pg glands for phase wires not enough?

4 Likes

It’s not enough

7 Likes

only sure way to “water-proof” is to keep it far away from anything wet or can produce wetness…

2 Likes

Life doesn’t stop because it rains

Can’t just not go to work because the street is wet

Maybe it starts raining when you are far away from home

Or someone washes their car and there is water across the road

13 Likes

never implied that my friend…

I’m just sayin’ the facts… three things will definitely happen…

• chicks are gunna do something weird, and it will turn out to be your fault.
  • concrete will crack.
  • water.
7 Likes

Facts of life right there.

4 Likes

I can’t snort concrete

5 Likes

you’re not trying hard enuff!

7 Likes

@b264 I found these foam pad things on amazon. I was planning on using them between the deck and the enclosures for extra water protection and maybe vibration dampening. I think I am going to do 1/8 in but depends on what you think of these.

Those look like they could be really good for over, under, and around the battery. I don’t know about using those for an enclosure seal, it all depends on specifics. With the right deck and enclosure fit they might work well.

1 Like

I actually found these instead:

They are “closed cell” which makes them more resistant to water. I think They will be good. I also saw a yt video of someone dunking this underwater and it protected the insides of the enclosure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOp739GFB1U

2 Likes

In that case your cheapest solution would be to buy evazote per running meter. Used for outdoor insulation in regions where punctuation of your therm a rest is a nono.
Also closed cell, so no water goes through, but, asumably, cheaper.

1 Like

I’m using that. It loses that strength over time.
If you push it against a screw for a bit, it will push back and hold stuff secure.
2 days later it will provide no pressure on that screw and vibrations will make even more space for it.
Used some neoprene as gasket and it’s cigarette paper thin in some places

3 Likes