Best hub motor prebuilt?

Idk man but he’s right. Hubs have their place, and that place is on your spare board. I just bought a hub motor board so don’t call me a hater lol

4 Likes

1 Like

I’ll fill that gap if you want

And I own a hub board. The hubs are the only bad part of it

3 Likes

I think the hubs on the backfire mini I just got are the perfect match for that board. I have a <1 mile commute to work and its perfect.

Yeah I think riding more than that would get a bit hefty on the feet

1 Like

I’ll take the foot beating to save on the spine beating from lugging my old daily around

4 Likes

6 Likes

You’re nuts bro or you must have nice streets, it’s hard to ride my landwheel hubs more than like 10 miles

2 Likes

This thread definitely went in a different direction than I expected. I realize the focus on this forum is DIY, but I really do think prebuilt hub boards have their place and a high convenience factor. After my bad fall I was considering downsizing and wanted to know more about these options. At this point I’m leaning away from getting a prebuilt but there is some good discussion in this thread.

@ShutterShock @Vanarian - How does the battery connection work with the revel kit? Would it be possible to use a different battery pack connected to the kit?

2 Likes

Really? lmao hahahaha welcome to esk8 hardcore squad :joy: :handshake: :hugs:

2 Likes

there are cheap hub motor boards out there. I would go for a meepo 4wd pro and switching the esc in future project when burnt down or some issues appear from the deep space :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

@ShutterShock do u know how much space does the revel kit esc take up? im planning to buy a kit and vesc it :joy:

It’s a multipin connector, proprietary as far as I know. It would be challenging to use anything except an OEM battery. Unless you had another battery to sacrifice just for the connector

I’d have to measure it to be sure but the thickness would be the main issue. Off the top of my head I think it’s about 75x75mm x 15mm thick or something like that

1 Like

from this pic

there seems to be just enough space to stick a HD60 or maybe stack 2 mini foc in it :thinking: u think its possible to bypass the discharge? or have revel wire it to be not possible?

1 Like

Yeah I know what it looks like, I’ve replaced things inside before. I think thickness is the main problem. HD60 maaaaaybe enough room, 2 mini foc I highly doubt it.

Im pretty sure that the center screw standoff there in the middle is only like 15mm tall or 20 at absolute max

I’m not sure what you mean bypass discharge

1 Like

what if i cut it off :joy: there seems to be enough screws around to fix the plate, then i would have space for 2 mini foc side by side with room to spare

battery discharge bypass, looks like the green pcb is proprietary to go with the BMS?

You could technically cut it off, the enclosure wouldn’t be as secure without a middle attachment point though.

I could understand wanting to switch to VESC but I’m not sure how much more you’re going to get out of it from doing that. The XR battery packs are just 10s2p of 30q

That battery plug is proprietary but it’s just positive negative, nothing else

1 Like

not really looking for huge improvement moving to vesc, just want to know how possible it would be to mod it that way and revel kit seems a pretty good kit to do that. im starting to get tired carrying my tayto up and downstairs and want something lighter just for work

Well if you do end up getting it, try out the default esc and whatnot, I quite like it and have no intentions of ever opening mine up to mod it like that

Theoretically it would be possible but you’d definitely want to make sure everything can fit before considering buying parts to mod it

1 Like

i probably will, sorry this will be the last revel related question :joy:

how much do the whole kit weight? website says Drive Weight 5KG does that include the battery weight?

1 Like