Best cnc / wana buy

well this hobby got expensive quickly,

so what the title says i am looking for a cnc that can cut 10mm aluminium for motor mounts and delrin for a top mount enclosure, so far i have come across the workbee witch seems to be the best I can find at the its price point but i have doubts whether the stock machine can cut alu well, does anyone have experience with it?

other than that there is the shapeoko, but since i am in the uk it makes little sense over the workbee after import fees.

anyway if anyone has any recommendations that would be much appreciated, or if you are selling a cnc i am also interested - tank

1 Like

Ugggg too bad ur in the UK, I have a great little router that want to sell. It’s do good, it’s just that my dad is buying an expensive one that I get to use, so I won’t need mine anymore.

2 Likes

@surfnacho daym that a shame, just out of curiosity what machine is it?

1 Like

@Lee_Wright
How are you finding your workbee? Have you tried aluminum?

3 Likes

@itsmeOli @Anubis

Yeeesssss it’s a workbee, but with upgraded motors and a higher quality controller. It freaking mobs and does aluminum very well. I can churn out motor plates in 12 minutes using some nice fusion g-code.

If you have a higher budget grab an omio

3 Likes

noooooo that sounds sweeet. yea the x8 looks nice but its out of my budget. do you reckon we could ship the workbee it for a reasonable ish price

1 Like

also out of interest what upgrades has it had done to it? what controller did you swap it out for?

1 Like

I’ve cut Ali with it loads of times, it works but you have to take your time

2 Likes

So it has upgraded motors (I didn’t think they would make a difference, but it really does. It can cut a good bit better than my buddy’s with standard motors). Instead of the cheap controller, it has an open builds black box that allows you to use very basic software like easel, but also advanced software like fusion. Idk about shipping. Send me a PM with address and we can figure it out. Honestly a killer machine. Also if you grab a collet adapter, you can use the Chinese metric endmills which are dirt cheap and work very well. I mostly use 1/8 and 1/4 inch tooling, but a collet adapter or new collet would allow for the 4mm & 6mm chinese bits.

Oooo also it has the lead screw whip fix. Basically tensions it from the outside which eliminate leadscrew whip (very prominent on the older style)

2 Likes

this thing sounds sweet! will pm now

1 Like

Check out Shapeoko, I have an S3 XXL and I love it

3 Likes